Not exactly news, but related to WFLD's incompetence

Spring Rubber

We all know how WFLD has a tendency to record *everything* for the news in 16:9 SD, and it annoys me to no end, but now it's being taken a step further. Since WFLD aired the Bears preseason game tonight, Fox's primetime was preempted and is just starting to air at this late hour after the late newscast. And to my surprise (I guess I shouldn't be surprised), WFLD is airing Fox's primetime shows in 16:9 SD. Apparently they recorded it from the network feed earlier, and just like their newscasts, they do everything recorded in SD. This is just pathetic. I bet the Fox affiliate in market #90 could record the network programming in HD for delayed rebroadcast.

We all know how WFLD has a tendency to record *everything* for the news in 16:9 SD, and it annoys me to no end, but now it's being taken a step further. Since WFLD aired the Bears preseason game tonight, Fox's primetime was preempted and is just starting to air at this late hour after the late newscast. And to my surprise (I guess I shouldn't be surprised), WFLD is airing Fox's primetime shows in 16:9 SD. Apparently they recorded it from the network feed earlier, and just like their newscasts, they do everything recorded in SD. This is just pathetic. I bet the Fox affiliate in market #90 could record the network programming in HD for delayed rebroadcast.

A technical inability means that they are incompetent? Perhaps they try to save room on their server for syndicated shows and avoid recording things in HD. Or (the more likely scenario), the station's Router System has not yet been completely upgraded to support routing Control Room or Network Sources into the Server/Recorder.

At the end of the day, this really isn't a big deal for them (or anyone). Their News Department seems to be on the brink of complete failure -- that should be something to worry about (for people who work there)...

Still though. They're market THREE. I think that's his point; they're the third largest market in the nation yet their news is apparently STILL in SD (something I was not aware of) and they apparently seem to lack the ability to even record shows in HD to playback later.

Still though. They're market THREE. I think that's his point; they're the third largest market in the nation yet their news is apparently STILL in SD (something I was not aware of) and they apparently seem to lack the ability to even record shows in HD to playback later.

Hold up...the live broadcasts are in HD, but all recorded material is SD.

Archived