WPVI takes over 10 PM newscast on WPHL

JULIUS

Adam Joseph facebook page:

BIG NEWS!!!!! Action News will begin a 10pm newscast on PHL17 September 15th. Your 4pm team will anchor the 10pm newscast along with yours truly giving the forecast. I am so excited to start another new chapter at action news and work along side the best in the business on and off camera. If you are one of the many who can't stay up till the late night news, this is perfect. Action News at 10pm!

WOW.

It was obvious that 10 wanted out of the arrangement for a very long time. They gave that newscast zero promotion and recognition, and outside of a few mentions on newscasts, barely acknowledged that WPHL existed. So 10 pulling out of the arrangement is not unexpected.

I am surprised that 6 is taking over, though. I don't know if I should be, given that the ABC O&Os have started to be a bit more aggressive in adding newscasts and competing against other stations. But 6 always seemed.... I dunno... content in it's leadership? KYW and WCAU try to do these splashy expansions and joint ventures that increase their visibility; 6 never seemed to do that because it's Action News, dammit.

Now, at this point, there are a lot more questions than answers. All we know is that it's going to be called "Action News at 10pm", that the 4pm people are doing it, and that it starts September 15th. Is it going to be an hour? half-hour? Will it simply be extra Action News, or as the anchor team suggests, something a little lighter and fluffier? Who's doing weekends? Rob, I hope? And how much "6ABC" will be in the graphics?

Beyond even the newscast, there's a lot of questions about 17's programming going forward. A LOT of the non-news stuff is currently produced either with NBC 10 talent, or in the case of InFocus, their public affairs show, at NBC 10 facilities. Steve Highsmith is employed both at NBC 10 and PHL 17. What happens now? Do they simply replace the 10 people with 6 people? Do they tape InFocus at 6 or at 17? And does Steve remain with both stations? There's a LOT of stuff that is now up in the air with this announcement.

I will say this -

It is going to be extremely weird hearing Move Closer To Your World, and seeing The Montage, on another Philly TV station. If you think 6 will use a different theme and open on 17 like 10 does now (17 uses Always Worth Your Time), I have a bridge to sell you.

Found a press release on PHL's site.

Basics: Weekdays are Brian Taff, Shirleen Allicot, Adam Joseph, and Ducis Rodgers. Weekends are Rob Jennings (yay!), Melissa Magee, and Jeff Skversky.

"Action News at 10pm on PHL 17" is the official name. (Better than "PHL17 NEWS AT TEN POWERED BY NBC10".)

They specifically say "this is going to be Action News", multiple times, so expect, well, the Action News music and look. (Like you expected anything different.)

So far, I like. The weekday team is solid and logical - and I'm glad to see Brian get the opportunity to do a straight newscast - while weekends are great just because it means more Rob Jennings.

Archived