Terrible picture quality for NFL game on WFLD

Spring Rubber

I'm watching the NFL game right now, and the picture quality is pretty bad. You can even see it in all of the graphics, which are blurry and have a lot of artifacting.

At first, I thought maybe it was DirecTV compressing the daylights out of it, so I switched to OTA, and sure enough, it's just as bad.

Is WFLD at fault for this? It would be hard to imagine that the Fox network would be sending its stations a garbage feed without getting a lot of complaints. Just knowing the lack of quality control at WFLD, I would be inclined to think that something's wrong on their end.

WNYW-DT has the same problem on all FOX Sports Broadcasts.

The wider the camera shot is the worse the digital compression artifacts are.

What happened to the idea that the FOX splicer system was supposed to improve the PQ at the local station?

Andy Setos, president of Engineering, Fox Entertainment Group. “The application of splicing in distribution delivers material bandwidth efficiencies and equipment savings while simultaneously ensuring the highest picture quality for the viewer.”

http://broadcastengineering.com/news/fox-stations-splice-hd-feed-local-level

This is one reason why I like sports on cable channels instead - no local affiliates acting as the middle-man to screw things up. Remember when Fox Sports changed their SD feed over to widescreen in August 2010? I went to college in market #110-something at the time, and my college only had SD channels. It took WYZZ-TV until late September/early October to start presenting Fox Sports in the correct format. For August and September, they kept presenting Fox Sports in 4:3 with pillar boxes, causing all of the graphics to get cut off. It was soooo freaking annoying.

In short, local affiliates can really **** national programming up.

• 2 weeks later...

And now we had to watch the Giants win the World Series in a tiny little window because WFLD flipped the feed over to windowboxed SD for no reason. There was no warning crawl or any other local graphics being displayed. Just a complete gaffe again by the most incomptent station in the Chicago and probably the most incompetent Fox O&O as well. I can't stand watching anything on WFLD. They always find a way to screw it up, especially in the biggest moment of the baseball season.

Archived