Zucker To be CNN Boss: NYT Reports

ColumbusNewsFan

I could see it being a good move for Curry. She's upset with NBC and CNN could give her more.

But I really don't think giving her a nightly show would work for CNN. She's not enough of a star to really draw viewers... Plus, the whole bringing-in-broadcast-network-talent for 8 p.m. has been tried and not been successful (Connie Chung, Paula Zahn, Campbell Brown), not to mention at other time periods (Aaron Brown, Soledad O'Brien).

What might work is letting her be a special correspondent, traveling the world and maybe doing a bunch of documentaries/investigations.

I could see it being a good move for Curry. She's upset with NBC and CNN could give her more.

But I really don't think giving her a nightly show would work for CNN. She's not enough of a star to really draw viewers... Plus, the whole bringing-in-broadcast-network-talent for 8 p.m. has been tried and not been successful (Connie Chung, Paula Zahn, Campbell Brown), not to mention at other time periods (Aaron Brown, Soledad O'Brien).

What might work is letting her be a special correspondent, traveling the world and maybe doing a bunch of documentaries/investigations.

To wit, I actually think the other rumor of Erin Burnett displacing Soledad in the morning slot would be a very good idea as well for the same reason. The show she's currently in is the standard meat grinder that Chung, Zahn and Brown went through and doesn't highlight her strengths properly.

Even if Ann was tabbed to be a daytime anchor, along with those correspondent roles, it would be a significant improvement for her and the network.

The main problem with CNN goes back to the same catch-22 issue: they don't want to be seen as overly polemic (Piers Morgan's sorry attention-getting behavior notwithstanding), but the straight-up news analysis programs just don't really draw an audience.

My opinion is that they should just run straight rolling news coverage from 8pm to midnight (replayed 1am-5am) under the "Newsroom" banner, and move Anderson to an earlier role (probably in Erin's timeslot at 7pm, replayed at 12am). Then allow for those feature reports and correspondence from Erin, Ann, Anderson, et al, during that live programming. Dispatch Piers to some special role as an interviewer during that rolling coverage in an attempt to burn off his contract, as he's proven he cannot carry a show.

Try to be different but at the same time attempt to remain true to the network's intent. They can't out-Fox Fox or out-MSNBC MSNBC, nor should they try. But what they HAVE been doing amounts to a flat-out failure.

Guest NewsHound

My opinion is that they should just run straight rolling news coverage from 8pm to midnight (replayed 1am-5am) under the "Newsroom" banner, and move Anderson to an earlier role (probably in Erin's timeslot at 7pm, replayed at 12am). Then allow for those feature reports and correspondence from Erin, Ann, Anderson, et al, during that live programming. Dispatch Piers to some special role as an interviewer during that rolling coverage in an attempt to burn off his contract, as he's proven he cannot carry a show.

AMEN! I think this would be a brilliant move. The problem with the main cable news networks is that they virtually have little or no rolling news coverage anymore outside of dayside. There is no replacement for the (R.I.P.) Headline News now that HLN has all it's specialty talk opinion shows. We need an outlet on TV that provides that coverage, and despite cable networks thinking that we can get all information online, there are a lot of Americans that still don't own computers or do not wish to go online just to find out the latest news. Not only that, but this allows all of their employed on-air talent to showcase their talents, not just have one hour set aside for them. If CNN were smart, they would make a massive format change, and take a page from this example.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived