New Syndie News for a New Day?

ABC 7 Denver

Stick with me here. I promise all this information will lead to an interesting conclusion.

Let's focus on the facts.

There are conservatively 185 MyNetworkTV 'affiliates' covering 96% of the U.S. According to Paul Franklin, executive service V.P. at the programming service, “MyNetworkTV currently ranks #6 in House Holds and #8 in Ages 18-49 and Ages 25-54 among all broadcast and cable networks. Season-to-date, MyNetworkTV is averaging a 1.7 Household rating and 2.5 million total viewers; rising in the recent May Sweeps +7 (Households) over a year ago.”

As of this article from Hollywood Reporter dated June 11th, 2012, MyNetwork had added House, Numb3rs, and White Collar. The programming service is rounded out with Law & Order: Special Victims Unit and Monk.

Analyzing just the programming available it is understandable why this service is designed in this way and why it is successful. 1). Police and medical procedurals usually lead with the most viewers on any network as evident by the proliferation of NCIS, the Law & Order saga, the CSI saga, The Mentalist, Grey’s Anatomy etc. 2). Price per episode, MyNetworkTV provides a cheaper alternative to on or off network cycles than independent syndication because they are, again, providing programming for over 185 stations. This is the similar process seen in healthcare and at bulk clubs like Costco and Sam’s Club.

On a side note, recently, we have been seeing a lot of MNTV affiliates pulling away from the service branding (such as My9 or MyNetworkEureka) and switching to independent network branding (such as Joe TV or Channel 20). This is because broadcasters see MyNetworkTV as just a programming service and are distancing themselves from their scheduling; preferring to air the MNTV cheaper syndication at veritable times and air their ownbartered, traded or news programming at primetime.

Some other facts we know. As posted by CircleSeven on January 22nd, KSNV will be eliminating their licensing deals with Sony Pictures for Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy this year and will be canceling their licensing agreement with CBS Television Distribution in 2014 for Dr. Phil. These programs will be replaced with local news programming. Emphasis on news. While I would not completely recommend eliminating all first run syndication, it seems that the idea of replacing it with the most cost effective news programming is the answer.

We also know that of the five broadcast networks and one syndication service, only three networks deliver morning news programming (CBS, NBC & ABC). We could very well consider The Daily Buzz morning news programming, but it has no hope of competing with This Morning, GMA and Today because it pretty much consists of infotainment and no solid news. Basically this program should be renamed The Morning Fluff.

By the numbers. Conservatively, there are 202 FOX affiliates (no national news programming), 200 CW affiliates (again, no national news programming), 147 independent television stations and, as mentioned (no national news programming), and 185 MyNetworkTV 'affiliates'( no

national news programming).

The primary makeup of Tribune’s affiliation is FOX, MyNetworkTV, and the CW. Of the top 20 markets Tribune owns 9 of the 20 CW affiliates where the next highest owner, CBS, retains 7. Tribune also owns many higher market FOX and MyNetwork affiliates as well.

In all cases, none of these stations have acquired any source of national news programming including the Daily Buzz.

As stated here by the Channel7fan and in the article from Media Bistro, “Channel 11 [WPIX] bested its rivals at WNYW and WCBS in the crowded 4 a.m. competition, while tying WABC in that early broadcast…the PIX11 Morning News saw a 100 percent increase from 2011 to 2012. In the 5 a.m. hour, the Morning News saw a 33 percent increase year to year, while the 6 a.m. hour, WPIX increased by 20 percent. But, the good vibrations don’t stop there for Channel 11, with another 33 percent bounce in the 7 a.m. hour.”

Since Tribune has just exited bankruptcy and is, presumably, looking for a new market to capitalize in, I would suggest that a nationally syndicated morning news program (unlike that of The Daily Buzz) produced at ground level at PIX 11 headquarters in association with high profile CW/FOX/MNTV/indie group owner is a smart way to progress the Tribune business model.

It seems obvious that that NBC and ABC will continue to fight for the top morning news spot. CBS has the third spot all to themselves, but they need some stiff competition.

In many markets the 3 big networks take privilege in holding the top news ratings. Consistently, MyNetworkTV, CW and FOX affiliates have no strong local news lead-ins. This needs to change. First run syndications are an option, but as we can tell with KSNV and many similar stations, licensing fees are driving up costs and driving more local news programming, but syndicated national news programming has not been considered.

A first-run true morning news program is a foray into a new experience. It may be possible to even broadcast a live evening first-run syndicated newscast.

Please tell me your thoughts and concerns, and ask questions. I would like to know if this is even producible.

Thanks!

Sinclair, as many know, tried this. It was not very successful, which was a signal to other broadcast groups to stay away.

Although, Sinclair only tried a national evening news broadcast, so your idea involving morning news programs may work. But, CBS This Morning is basically a 'news' show, providing less fluff than others. This may suggest that people want infotainment, rather than info with a bit of coffee.

If Tribune started a morning show, I wouldn't call it a failure right away. The potential is there, but if they want to succeed, they'll need to research common viewer trends, likes/dislikes, etc.

Tribune is already trying this, on a somewhat limited basis, with their Dallas-produced "EyeOpener" program. I believe right now it airs in Dallas, Houston and Philly.

According to their website, however, it's being offered in syndication.

On a good day, it gets a Nielsen hashmark...not exactly setting the world on fire and probably a big reason why it's not selling well in syndication.

They have had (by my count) 3 different sets of hosts since it launched in the fall of 2011 (in Chicago, production moved to Dallas in the summer of 2012). The only constant (for reasons I can only fathom) is Sean Dowling, who has been there since the launch.

Tribune is already trying this' date=' on a somewhat limited basis, with their Dallas-produced "EyeOpener" program. I believe right now it airs in Dallas, Houston and Philly.

On a good day, it gets a Nielsen hashmark...not exactly setting the world on fire and probably a big reason why it's not selling well in syndication.

They have had (by my count) 3 different sets of hosts since it launched in the fall of 2011 (in Chicago, production moved to Dallas in the summer of 2012). The only constant (for reasons I can only fathom) is Sean Dowling, who has been there since the launch.

What's the deal? There are so many more stations without network news programming that I'd think a syndicated morning news program would be popular!

And Tribune back in the day use to produce the "Independent Network News", produced by WPIX, airing on many Independent television stations. Of course it didn't last too long but its was a good product.

Some other facts we know. As posted by CircleSeven on January 22nd, KSNV will be eliminating their licensing deals with Sony Pictures for Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy this year and will be canceling their licensing agreement with CBS Television Distribution in 2014 for Dr. Phil.

BTW Wheel & Jeopardy is produced by Sony (from Merv Griffin) but its distributed by CBS Television Distribution (used to be KingWorld). I'm also not a fan of eliminating all the syndie shows for news. Many folks will just think thats all the have to offer or they'll think well we'll already heard this a couple of hours ago and we didn't hear anything new so, I'll just change the channel and see what else is on.

I'm not too shocked that many of these smaller station groups are shunning away from these big syndie programs, yet I am shocked that they are many that are dropping Wheel & Jeopardy at an close to accerating rate. But my questioning is will this happen to other syndie programs in the future? Let's say for example if Katie Couric's talk show stay on for five seasons or even or more, will that be enough for a smaller station group to drop it because the license fees will be too much for them to pay?

I love to see one station keep its syndie shows from the time it debuts at the station till the end of the run (unless if the ratings are too low, but high enough so it can be on a lower-rated station), but we all know a ton of those shows (and it depends on which kind of syndie show) hop from station to the next.

As for a syndicated national morning news program, if it can be done right, and not that infotainment fluff-heavy that The Daily Buzz have or anything like WCIU's You & Me This Morning, then that would be a remarkable plus. But I don't think it would make any difference. We will continue to see a ratings neck and neck will Good Morning America and The Today Show, and CBS Morning show will stay at third place.

I'm not too shocked that many of these smaller station groups are shunning away from these big syndie programs, yet I am shocked that they are many that are dropping Wheel & Jeopardy at an close to accerating rate. But my questioning is will this happen to other syndie programs in the future? Let's say for example if Katie Couric's talk show stay on for five seasons or even or more, will that be enough for a smaller station group to drop it because the license fees will be too much for them to pay?

I love to see one station keep its syndie shows from the time it debuts at the station till the end of the run (unless if the ratings are too low, but high enough so it can be on a lower-rated station), but we all know a ton of those shows (and it depends on which kind of syndie show) hop from station to the next.

As for a syndicated national morning news program, if it can be done right, and not that infotainment fluff-heavy that The Daily Buzz have or anything like WCIU's You & Me This Morning, then that would be a remarkable plus. But I don't think it would make any difference. We will continue to see a ratings neck and neck will Good Morning America and The Today Show, and CBS Morning show will stay at third place.

With Univision and ABC creating a merger Amexicana network and other networks in existence without national news programming, you'd think there would room for syndicated news programming. I'm sick of the f*cking talkers. I could care less about Steve Harvey or Jeff Propst. Katie Couric is trying to fill the Oprah hole and I respect that. Dr. Phil and Dr. Oz are specialty programs. That's fine too.

Wendy Williams, Maury Polvich, Judge Alex, Judge Joe Brown, the Divorce Court, The Doctors etc... These are all pandering to the lowest common viewer. I rather watch infomercials! They are far more fun.

Interestingly enough, my ABC affiliate, KMGH, has actually retracted news programming and has added syndicated programming. They don't have a 6pm newscast in favor of WOF and Jeopardy. It had a 4pm program but yanked it back to 3 in favor of Dr. Oz and completely killed it at 3 favor of Katie.

News seems like it would be almost the easiest and cheapest program to run in syndication! The formula is the trickiest part. But done right, it would flourish in every market. What's offensive about news? Not a gosh-darn thing!

Tribune is already trying this' date=' on a somewhat limited basis, with their Dallas-produced "EyeOpener" program. I believe right now it airs in Dallas, Houston and Philly.

That is not a morning news program! Not professional at all. The graphics are ok. But the random verbal input reminds me of Access HollyWood. This is a terrible excuse. Very unprofessional.

Archived