Police Pursuit & Chopper Comparisons

ThunderJay27

All stations are live with a story where 2 police cars were stolen, one Camden, NJ police car, and 1 Philly police car. I didn't get to see the actual live pursuit, but from the video flipping back between all stations, it looks like Chopper 3 got alot of the pursuit, including almost hitting a woman, hitting a box truck, sideswiping 3 cars & running up on sidewalks, while Chopper 6 & SkyForce 10 came in as it rounded toward the end. Everyone got the end of the pursuit & arrest.

From the looks of it, 3 has the best all around video of all the major happenings of the chase and arrest. Everyone has reporters all out on the story. 3 has great anchor coverage along with their top reporters including Walt Hunter, 10 seems to be getting most of the clarification info first, 6 alot of clear pictures and good coverage with strong anchor help, and didn't see alot on 29. But overall, Channel 3 looks to be coming out on top covering this story.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This story gives a good look at the different Helicopter pictures and it seems that 6 has the most clear HD shots, even though 10 claims they have the most advanced HD cam. 3's chopper shot looked the same as 10's imo. What is it that makes 6's crystal clear but 10's not?

All stations are live with a story where 2 police cars were stolen, one Camden, NJ police car, and 1 Philly police car. I didn't get to see the actual live pursuit, but from the video flipping back between all stations, it looks like Chopper 3 got alot of the pursuit, including almost hitting a woman, hitting a box truck, sideswiping 3 cars & running up on sidewalks, while Chopper 6 & SkyForce 10 came in as it rounded toward the end. Everyone got the end of the pursuit & arrest.

From the looks of it, 3 has the best all around video of all the major happenings of the chase and arrest. Everyone has reporters all out on the story. 3 has great anchor coverage along with their top reporters including Walt Hunter, 10 seems to be getting most of the clarification info first, 6 alot of clear pictures and good coverage with strong anchor help, and didn't see alot on 29. But overall, Channel 3 looks to be coming out on top covering this story.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When you say clear are you referring to the resolution of the picture?

This story gives a good look at the different Helicopter pictures and it seems that 6 has the most clear HD shots, even though 10 claims they have the most advanced HD cam. 3's chopper shot looked the same as 10's imo. What is it that makes 6's crystal clear but 10's not?

10 is downconverting their chopper feed right now probably due to the fact they have a live reporter up there and HD ENG can still be rather dicey the further away from the station you get as far as being live and dealing with transmission delays are concerned. I'm sure this is a temporary thing.

When you say clear are you referring to the resolution of the picture?

10 is downconverting their chopper feed right now probably due to the fact they have a live reporter up there and HD ENG can still be rather dicey the further away from the station you get as far as being live and dealing with transmission delays are concerned. I'm sure this is a temporary thing.

Yes, I meant the resolution, but I think you got what I meant by clear in your HD explanation. It kind of puzzled me that even when they do the skyline live shots from SF10, it's really grainy, and even their live city cams were more clear than the choppers. I also thought that it had to do with the "kind" of HD feeds and setup they each respectively have at their respective stations. If I remember correctly, and correct me if i'm wrong, didn't Channel 6 go all "true" HD, where the other stations modified their systems to show HD? (if that makes sense)

Yes, I meant the resolution, but I think you got what I meant by clear in your HD explanation. It kind of puzzled me that even when they do the skyline live shots from SF10, it's really grainy, and even their live city cams were more clear than the choppers. I also thought that it had to do with the "kind" of HD feeds and setup they each respectively have at their respective stations. If I remember correctly, and correct me if i'm wrong, didn't Channel 6 go all "true" HD, where the other stations modified their systems to show HD? (if that makes sense)

Well 6 rebuilt their station from the ground up literally and they had the luxury of having the resources to get all the top of the line tech in one fell swoop. 10 unfortunately when they went HD had to do everything piecemeal since NBC was in the crapper both financially and otherwise. Since Comcast has taken over, 10 has gotten much better as far as technology is concerned. A majority of their live trucks are putting out full HD, they've been upgrading their sky cams (and adding new ones). they upgraded their graphics system over a year ago so they've been slowly progressing in that dept.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived