WLS New Music?

24994J

During a promo for tonight's 5pm news, ABC 7 used a cut of music that I've never heard before. It's not the current 'Stimulus'/'NS2K+' package, and it's not the 'Eyewitness News' theme, but alas, it sounds like a hybrid of the two. I'm only bringing it up because (as I said) I've never heard it before...EVER. It very well might be an update to 'Stimulus'. It's not "terrible", but it's kinda what you'd expect from Gari nowadays (if it is Gari). I also want to be clear, it is only on this promo, nowhere else...yet.

Yeah I remember this cue.

. Last night during the five second tags for the 10pm news, they did use the Series 3 (WABC) promo theme of EWN, instead of the short News Series 2000 Plus cue.

So this is absolutely nothing. They've used EWN music like several times, for other things. Even they'd use the KABC classic bumper, when they debuted that "New at 4pm", "New at 5pm", "New at 6pm" graphics. That was replaced with a sound effect.

EDIT: As of Tonight, they placed the WABC cue for the 10pm five second tags.

Yeah I remember this cue.
. Last night during the five second tags for the 10pm news, they did use the Series 3 (WABC) promo theme of EWN, instead of the short News Series 2000 Plus cue.

So this is absolutely nothing. They've used EWN music like several times, for other things. Even they'd use the KABC classic bumper, when they debuted that "New at 4pm", "New at 5pm", "New at 6pm" graphics. That was replaced with a sound effect.

EDIT: As of Tonight, they placed the WABC cue for the 10pm five second tags.

This is what they're using for the full 30-second 10pm preview. And I'll admit it, while I don't mind this cut of EWN, hearing it on WLS made me nauseous...

http://newsmusicnow.com/gmg/eyewitnessnews/series3topical.mp3

This is what they're using for the full 30-second 10pm preview. And I'll admit it, while I don't mind this cut of EWN, hearing it on WLS made me nauseous...

http://newsmusicnow.com/gmg/eyewitnessnews/series3topical.mp3

First time in over twenty years, I didn't hear that same 10pm tease music. I heard it during Wheel tonight. I don't too much care if they use EWN for other stuff. But this thus far is a big change.

Unrelated to the music. Did anyone see the Thursday 10pm I-Team Report tease? It first aired yesterday during the 10pm news last night. One of the promos shows a cinema shot of Chuck Goudie holding a mic and what appears to look like WABC's mic flag. Now sweeps start this Thursday.When it came out two years ago, I actually loved those mic flags. The best flag they'd had since dropping the four-side "Circle-7 by-itself" ones in 2001. I wouldn't mind seeing those mic flags replace their current mic flags, since they've been using those for over six years. Some of those are even beat up to the point, they found an old 1997 four sided mic-flag they used last year.

But I do have a bad feeling in all of this. The playing of the WABC's promo theme for the 10pm tease & five second tags and the possible use of the WABC's mic flag, could Curtis Miles & John Idler want to turn WLS's image to an equivalent to a baby-WABC?!!!!

And let me specify again, its the 10pm tease which airs during Wheel and not the 10pm tease that air around 9:30pm. You still hear the Nighttime Bumper of News Series 2000 Plus.

I just saw the promo with the new mic flags, and they do look good! I like that it's not so heavily-detailed like WABC's, but it's not flat-looking like WPVI's. The flags are clearly using the updated ABC logo, which I've finally warmed up to...here's hoping the circle 7 isn't a flat piece o'crap like KGO's, though.

It likely this is gonna be a repeat of what happened at KGO in the late 90's: the former GM at WLS came over there, and decided to make the station more like WLS, with the same logo, music and title (though KGO had been using the Channel 7 News title long before then, as KPIX called dibs on the EWN title). This thing only lasted two years. And yet the WLS theme and open style actually works very well for the Bay Area, as everyone knows that San Francisco is a quirky, fun, and nice place, and the upbeat NS2000+ worked very well. They should have kept it. (By the way, when did they start calling it "Stimulus", and why?) Now it looks like the reverse is happening, and WABC is leaking into WLS like radon gas in the Simpsons' basement.

One thing I've always liked about the ABC O&Os is the individuality among the stations. Look at CBS, NBC, and FOX and they've all made their stations be carbon copies of one another. It's cool if WLS is updating things and borrowing from WABC but they should continue to keep their own local identity.

I like a lot of things about WABC's presentation, the news intros are gorgeous (please include the talent), the theme is something I could get used to and the color scheme is okay (I'd much rather have the blue/purple/gold of WLS). I'm also glad that the logo isn't changing to the bottom left-alignment like KGO and KABC. However, I don't want WABC's news graphics AT ALL. They're big, busy and WAAAAAAAY too cartoonish. I wouldn't mind an arrangement like WTVD's, where they heavily updated their previous look. You gotta remember, that's where the new GM (John Idler) came from.

I like a lot of things about WABC's presentation, the news intros are gorgeous (please include the talent), the theme is something I could get used to and the color scheme is okay (I'd much rather have the blue/purple/gold of WLS). I'm also glad that the logo isn't changing to the bottom left-alignment like KGO and KABC. However, I don't want WABC's news graphics AT ALL. They're big, busy and WAAAAAAAY too cartoonish. I wouldn't mind an arrangement like WTVD's, where they heavily updated their previous look. You gotta remember, that's where the new GM (John Idler) came from.

And don't forget Curtis Miles was the CSD under Idler too at WTVD. It always happens, when someone new comes, they'll try to bring someone they already know to the fold.

I've always preached about stations needing to have their own identity, locality, and individuality. But so far as of recently, KGO is now using KABC's new graphics. But it looks like Miles & Idler wants to sneak some WABC image elements into WLS's newscast. Although we haven't seen any WABC graphic elements, but we really need to watch their every move. Because I have a feeling they will end up doing something, and many folks will become outraged.

I truthfully don't care about any new graphics or whenever they'll do a new set, which may not happen right away. But the music is the real sentiment and the pride of the station. And more than 20 and 1/2 years its been basically the same evening news theme and 12 years this month it has been the same morning news theme. So far the worst thing they'd done was to replace the

(the same music they'd use for 20 years), and under Curtis Miles & John Idler's tenure, that the massive music change thus far. Tom Hebel decided not to use the EWN pack. It may not be the case for Curtis Miles.

The station have used Eyewitness News hear & there in franchises, promos (including the Blago Senate Impeachment trial, they used the KABC's iconic breaking news cue. I remember that vividly). It's not like we won't hear those themes. But the News Series 2000 Plus themes that are being used right now in the newscasts, fits just well with the current content delivery and style of the newscast now. And any alterations in the music would be greatly inappropriate for the style and content of the newscasts. Also, WLS has been the only station that have used the same theme song, longer than the other Chicago stations, which have changed its music 4-7 times during that 20 & 1/2 year time period. And because of that long period, longevity is also the reason why they should not alter the theme tune. And used the same music provider for over 33 years.

So to sum up what I say. I don't care about any graphic, set or even talent changes, but for the reasons I stated above. the theme song should not be changed.

And one more thing. I said News Series 2000 Plus and not that "S" word (which I'm not going to say, fearing they could end up either using that theme or exiting the almost 30 year usage of NS2000/+ altogether to go with EWN outright) which is solely on the newer WLS rejected themes and not the original package which is News Series 2000 Plus.

SIDEBAR: How many times we have been talking about this News Series 2000 Plus thing? early 2007, late 2007, 2008, 2009, late 2009, 2010, and I know its been other times we've talking about this. But since the new cats at channel 7 changed the tease music, you can't put it past Miles & Idler.

SIDEBAR: How many times we have been talking about this News Series 2000 Plus thing? early 2007' date=' late 2007, 2008, 2009, late 2009, 2010, and I know its been other times we've talking about this. But since the new cats at channel 7 changed the tease music, you can't put it past Miles & Idler.

That's hilarious...I didn't realize it's been that many times. That late 2007 one should be re-evaluated, though. Would they be as open to communication, and would the CSD's phone number still be the same. I'd try it myself, but seeing as I'm trying to get into the industry (WLS being a possible goal), it may not be in my best interest to get involved.

TheMisterFree, on 21 Apr 2013 - 18:51, said:

It likely this is gonna be a repeat of what happened at KGO in the late 90's: the former GM at WLS came over there, and decided to make the station more like WLS, with the same logo, music and title (though KGO had been using the Channel 7 News title long before then, as KPIX called dibs on the EWN title). This thing only lasted two years. And yet the WLS theme and open style actually works very well for the Bay Area, as everyone knows that San Francisco is a quirky, fun, and nice place, and the upbeat NS2000+ worked very well. They should have kept it. (By the way, when did they start calling it "Stimulus", and why?) Now it looks like the reverse is happening, and WABC is leaking into WLS like radon gas in the Simpsons' basement.

Well the same GM that brought it there is the one who nixed it 2 years in...though the blue set lasted about 4 I think.

SF is a fun quirky place but the dead somber tone of KTVU sets the pace in that market.

SF is a fun quirky place but the dead somber tone of KTVU sets the pace in that market.

Though in fairness, I've been happy that they adopted the KABC graphics. It's made KGO feel slightly less stale than it did before. The graphics are bright, airy, and a visual scheme that WLS should look into.

So... JUUUUST a shot in the dark, here's what I sent to Mr. Idler:

"Good morning, Mr. Idler!

I just wanted to say that the imaging face-lifts being made at ABC 7 are very well executed, and a welcome breath of fresh air. I really believe that both the subtle changes, along with the bigger changes are really helping ABC 7 get out of the stagnant state it has been in since the graphic update in 2005.

Keeping that in mind, I do have one inquiry in regards to the music. ABC 7's theme music is definitely one of the most iconic "Chicago" jinges, right along side the WLS-AM, Empire Carpet, and Moo & Oink jingles. A lot of the TV News enthusiasts seem to feel that the ABC O&O package will slowly take over, and Stimulus/News Series 2000 Plus will be retired. Will this end up being the case?

On that note, I do have something I would like to share with you, and I hope you will take this proposition into consideration. I have been working for several months on my own updates to Stimulus/News Series 2000 Plus, with the goal in-mind to freshen the newscasts presentation, while still retaining the iconic "News Series 2000" theme. A theme celebrating it's 30th year at WLS, making it THE consecutively longest running television theme song of any Chicago station.

Here is a link to the demo of my update package, "WLS Legacy":

If you would like, I could send you the complete package for your review, which includes 3 different themes, promo cuts, specialty logo statements, and different mix-outs of the cuts. Please note, that it's a basic package, so It's definitely not as expansive as Gari's ABC O&O Package, but also definitely not as "Cookie-cutter".

I do look forward to speaking with you, and I hope your day goes well!

-Chris Majka"

Perhaps I may have rushed it, perhaps it was a good move, perhaps he'll ignore it, perhaps he'll love it. At this point, I have no idea how else to go about it, so why not? (#yolo)

On a separate note, do I use too many commas?

So... JUUUUST a shot in the dark, here's what I sent to Mr. Idler:

"Good morning, Mr. Idler!

I just wanted to say that the imaging face-lifts being made at ABC 7 are very well executed, and a welcome breath of fresh air. I really believe that both the subtle changes, along with the bigger changes are really helping ABC 7 get out of the stagnant state it has been in since the graphic update in 2005.

Keeping that in mind, I do have one inquiry in regards to the music. ABC 7's theme music is definitely one of the most iconic "Chicago" jinges, right along side the WLS-AM, Empire Carpet, and Moo & Oink jingles. A lot of the TV News enthusiasts seem to feel that the ABC O&O package will slowly take over, and Stimulus/News Series 2000 Plus will be retired. Will this end up being the case?

On that note, I do have something I would like to share with you, and I hope you will take this proposition into consideration. I have been working for several months on my own updates to Stimulus/News Series 2000 Plus, with the goal in-mind to freshen the newscasts presentation, while still retaining the iconic "News Series 2000" theme. A theme celebrating it's 30th year at WLS, making it THE consecutively longest running television theme song of any Chicago station.

Here is a link to the demo of my update package, "WLS Legacy": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKUombnvY-I

If you would like, I could send you the complete package for your review, which includes 3 different themes, promo cuts, specialty logo statements, and different mix-outs of the cuts. Please note, that it's a basic package, so It's definitely not as expansive as Gari's ABC O&O Package, but also definitely not as "Cookie-cutter".

I do look forward to speaking with you, and I hope your day goes well!

-Chris Majka"

Perhaps I may have rushed it, perhaps it was a good move, perhaps he'll ignore it, perhaps he'll love it. At this point, I have no idea how else to go about it, so why not? (#yolo)

On a separate note, do I use too many commas?

I'm really glad you did this. My only fear is that, while not your fault, this just might be too late.

well, that was kind of my fear too. but, a full package change hasn't been implemented yet, and changes can happen quickly. so, we'll see if he decides to stick with stimulus, or possibly go with my variations. the theme, after all, is Chicago. at least more Chicago then Eyewitness News could ever be...

Archived