Local TV LLC station-wide graphics package?

FirstNews8

Today, WQAD launched a new (crappy) graphics package. It is the same package used by WTVR (both are Local TV stations) They are pretty crappy. No doubt in-house. The are just using a stock background that anyone can purchase on line. Its got a few decent elements, but other than that it screams cheap. Here shots from WQAD.

Is this a new company-wide package?

http://wqad.com/2013/04/19/some-qc-area-counties-declared-state-disaster-areas/

Today, WQAD launched a new (crappy) graphics package. It is the same package used by WTVR (both are Local TV stations) They are pretty crappy. No doubt in-house. The are just using a stock background that anyone can purchase on line. Its got a few decent elements, but other than that it screams cheap. Here shots from WQAD.

It first came from KDVR which is also another Local TV station. You may be onto something.

But I not sure how this will look on stations like KTVI, WDAF, WITI, etc.

I don't know; Local TV stations are for sale. Yes, this is the third group station with this GFX, but I can't really see it getting to the entire group before any action happens regarding the sale.

Maybe I just have a hometown bias, but I really like what the KDVR/KWGN department has come out with. Admittedly though, it's the stunning city and talent photography that sells it at KDVR, and I could see where not every station could keep up with that production quality.

Maybe I just have a hometown bias, but I really like what the KDVR/KWGN department has come out with. Admittedly though, it's the stunning city and talent photography that sells it at KDVR, and I could see where not every station could keep up with that production quality.

Admittedly we have some great graphic artists in Denver both at KDVR and KUSA!

I don't know; Local TV stations are for sale. Yes, this is the third group station with this GFX, but I can't really see it getting to the entire group before any action happens regarding the sale.

Not only that, but if it's really supposed to be a group-wide graphics package, then they are taking literally FOREVER to roll it out.

It first came from KDVR which is also another Local TV station. You may be onto something.

But I not sure how this will look on stations like KTVI, WDAF, WITI, etc.

They won't look that nice, I can tell you that much. WDAF seems to prefer lighter colored graphics and KTVI seems to still want to be a Fox O&O. Hell the original package itself just about screamed Colorado, so to roll it out in all of these other states....eh.

Not only that, but if it's really supposed to be a group-wide graphics package, then they are taking literally FOREVER to roll it out.

They won't look that nice, I can tell you that much. WDAF seems to prefer lighter colored graphics and KTVI seems to still want to be a Fox O&O. Hell the original package itself just about screamed Colorado, so to roll it out in all of these other states....eh.

I would love it if WDAF would move to the KDVR graphics. Their current graphics look so cheap compared to those.

And you're right, KTVI's actually mimics WXIN in Indianapolis so I wonder if they'll try to become more like a Tribune station and less like a local TV station.

That being said, KTVI's are due for an upgrade.

WITI's GM has posted on here saying that they'll be doing their new graphics in-house. So this isn't really a mandate but it's being offered to the LocalTV stations.

It's almost as if people didn't read this statement at all...

I do like how KDVR has uses it.

I am glad this is not a mandate, group-wide package. I really like some of these other Local TV stations' graphics. WREG has some pretty good graphics, along with KFOR.

I do like how KDVR has uses it.

I am glad this is not a mandate, group-wide package. I really like some of these other Local TV stations' graphics. WREG has some pretty good graphics, along with KFOR.

KDVR's graphics are excellent, probably the best in Denver IMO. The one thing I was disappointed with after they premiered the new graphics - they had started out with a vertical 7-day forecast, and now have gone back to the "traditional" horizontal one. (I kinda liked the other one - it was a nice little change)

KFOR has decent graphics, but they've had them for a pretty long time. They could use a little change up. KWTV's new(ish) package is a more "current" look, but some of the animations are a little much.

KFSM in Ft Smith is using very similar gfx - the L3s are pretty much identical.

They are the same GFX...the only difference is the L3rds are a little darker and don't animate in the same way. The opener is different, though.

It works for KDVR because it feels like it was designed as a complete package - opens, music, L3s, etc., and meshes well with the set. It seems to fall apart as they offer out bits of it to other LocalTV stations.

The worst thing about these graphics is that the station logo is just slapped on the L3. It sticks out like a sore thumb that further cheapens this s***** ripoff of a good graphic package used by KDVR.

Man, I actually like the KDVR version a lot... here is a weather open with nice 3D, and nice animations that give it a lot of dimension. WQADs is just flat, with mostly 2D text and animations.

http://kdvr.com/2013/04/21/pinpoint-weather-more-snow-possible-early-this-week/

Im not sure if these stations are just given these graphics and are supposed to "make it there own" so to speak, and add there own elements and logos?

Man, I actually like the KDVR version a lot... here is a weather open with nice 3D, and nice animations that give it a lot of dimension. WQADs is just flat, with mostly 2D text and animations.

http://kdvr.com/2013/04/21/pinpoint-weather-more-snow-possible-early-this-week/

Im not sure if these stations are just given these graphics and are supposed to "make it there own" so to speak, and add there own elements and logos?

What is the round virtual set-type background at 0:19?

Oh, and thanks for pointing me to my local weather. I was just going to look for it! :D

Archived