KTLA Hires Five, Including Friel and Barberie

TexasTVNews

KTLA 5 News Director Jason Ball has announced new hires for LA's CW affiliate. Courtney Firel, Jillian Barberie, Steve Kuzj, Kimberly Cheng, and Olsen Ebright are all joining KTLA 5 News. Friel and Barberie both most recently worked at rival KTTV, the Fox O&O in Los Angeles. Friel, an entertainment reporter, signed off in February after her contract was not renewed.

Barberie, a co-anchor of “Good Day LA,” left KTTV in September. Barberie will host an entertainment news program, “The Hollywood Mix,” which will debut in June. Friel will contribute as an anchor and reporter. Kuzj and Cheng both come from KNXV, the ABC affiliate in Phoenix. Ebright comes from rival KNBC, where he has been the social media lead and content producer since 2007.

KTLA 5 News Director Jason Ball has announced new hires for LA's CW affiliate. Courtney Firel' date=' Jillian Barberie, Steve Kuzj, Kimberly Cheng, and Olsen Ebright are all joining KTLA 5 News. Friel and Barberie both most recently worked at rival [/color']KTTV, the Fox O&O in Los Angeles. Friel, an entertainment reporter, signed off in February after her contract was not renewed.

Barberie, a co-anchor of “Good Day LA,” left KTTV in September. Barberie will host an entertainment news program, “The Hollywood Mix,” which will debut in June. Friel will contribute as an anchor and reporter. Kuzj and Cheng both come from KNXV, the ABC affiliate in Phoenix. Ebright comes from rival KNBC, where he has been the social media lead and content producer since 2007.

It would be nice if you had at least linked to where you came across this info from.

With Michaela Pereira leaving for CNN soon, I wonder if any of these hires will be her replacement. I see Megan Henderson replacing Michaela on the 7-10am show and one of the new hires taking over for Megan from 4-7am.

With Michaela Pereira leaving for CNN soon, I wonder if any of these hires will be her replacement. I see Megan Henderson replacing Michaela on the 7-10am show and one of the new hires taking over for Megan from 4-7am.

I'm sure Wendy Burch is salivating at the opportunity to take Megan's spot. But it would be so funny if Jessica Holmes took the spot. Jessica's has really grown since she first started at KTLA and she is very versatile handling everything that has been thrown at her from news, weather to entertainment. She'd be a good fit, IMO.

@A3N- Don't forgot when she first started she was in the helicopter reporting traffic. I also agree that Jessica has grown tremendously over the years and she would be a great fit for the 4-7 am show. However, I really enjoy Megan, Chris, and Henry's chemistry together.

• 2 weeks later...

Love Megan, she would be a good replacement and then she would be able to report the news in a professional manner unlike the situation she is in now. Those two guys act like children every morning and all of that stupid giggling, yuk! Henry gets me so mad, he never gets to the weather because him and Chris are always talking and laughing about other things. I now turn the channel when he comes on.

Please not Jillian, please no! I don't want to see my morning news anchorperson drinking coffee, tweeting and I especially don't want to see her favorite accessory, the "Mirror" attached to her either. As far as Jessica being the replacement, No! I used to adore her but I don't know what or how she gets so much air time when there are so many more reporters that have so much more experience than her. I've also noticed that when she is at the desk, she'll always check herself out. Watch her and you'll see that she looks to the left, everytime. I hate that. And who doesn't know what the Spruce Goose is? Jessica Holmes doesn't, really!

I know that most won't agree with me but at least I got this off my chest. Petty? Maybe!

Love Megan, she would be a good replacement and then she would be able to report the news in a professional manner unlike the situation she is in now. Those two guys act like children every morning and all of that stupid giggling, yuk! Henry gets me so mad, he never gets to the weather because him and Chris are always talking and laughing about other things. I now turn the channel when he comes on. Please not Jillian, please no! I don't want to see my morning news anchorperson drinking coffee, tweeting and I especially don't want to see her favorite accessory, the "Mirror" attached to her either. As far as Jessica being the replacement, No! I used to adore her but I don't know what or how she gets so much air time when there are so many more reporters that have so much more experience than her. I've also noticed that when she is at the desk, she'll always check herself out. Watch her and you'll see that she looks to the left, everytime. I hate that. And who doesn't know what the Spruce Goose is? Jessica Holmes doesn't, really! I know that most won't agree with me but at least I got this off my chest. Petty? Maybe!

I'm not sure how she gets that much air time either. She is also doing the Health Smart segment at night. If I'm KTLA, I would replace Micheala with Megan. Move Jessica to the 4-7 slot. Then have Mary Beth anchor the 1 pm news.

Friel is permanent. What happened to McDade?

I kinda figure that. Since I saw Friel two weekends in a row, I'm sure McDade is out. Too bad, I prefer McDade over Friel. Friel is a little too goofy. Probably bad habits from her Fox days.

McDade is still there. She was filling in for Jessica Holmes on the 1 p.m. earlier this week. Not sure if she was removed from weekend evenings permanently.

I saw that too. McDade would be a good permanent 1 pm anchor. I'm not sure if KTLA has really found a permanent 1 pm replacement since Leila Feinstein left.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought that Megan Henderson was going to replace Michaela Pereira when she left but lately I have been seeing Jessica Holmes filling in. Jessica is a breathe of fresh air but not as a main anchor just quite yet to replace Michaela.

Megan works so well with Chris and Frank but how is she with the others on the show like Frank, Sam and Mark?

She seems find to me. Just like Michaela, she holds her own which I like, something Jessica just hasn't mastered yet.

I think Jessica is the permanent replacement for Michaela at the 7-9 spot. I have seen Frank and Chris filling in the 9-10 spot. I wonder if KTLA is looking for someone permanent at the 9-10 spot instead. Perhaps even the 1-2 pm news cast. But it seems like Jessica is doing them all lately.

Archived