WPTY/WLMT Memphis Announces Complete Station Overhaul

memnews1

That's a good guess. However just to be clear WATN's current weeknight newscast times are 5, 6 and 10, with an hour on sister WLMT at 9. Central Time! LOL

Time zones that split in the middle of a state always throw me off. I was thinking east TN and not west TN. Excuse the Pennsylvania boy.

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well...

I don't have NewsBlues access but one of its headlines this morning was regarding a primary Memphis anchor not renewing their contract. Without seeing the specifics that certainly raises my suspicions back that either Cameron or Joyce are leaving given the above. Really shocked at either, but I'd probably lean toward Cameron among the two. I assume better confirmation will be coming before long.

Well...curiosity got the best of me, so I went ahead and got a one-month subscription.

Joyce Peterson, the primary news anchor at Nexstar's last-place "WATN-TV LOCAL 24,"formerly known as WPTY-24-ABC in Memphis (Market #50), is expected to leave the station at the end of sweeps. NewsBlues has learned that she will not renew her contract. Peterson has worked at WATN since 2006, coming from across the street at WMC-5-NBC, where she anchored weekend mornings. Although Peterson says she wants to explore other opportunities, station insiders believe she's eyeballing a return to WMC (after sitting out a non-compete), where her husband, weather guesser Ron Childers, is the heir apparent to Chief Meteorologist Dave Brown.

Although I guess it makes sense if she were to return to WMC.

Oh wow. Going back to WMC would be the only reason to leave WATN, so she definitely must be eyeing that. Didn't see that coming at al

I'm making the call now - WATN is probably going to pursue Donna Davis. I don't know what she's doing now or whether she'd be interested at all but I can guarantee she's very much on their wish list especially if they're wanting somebody with Memphis experience which the opening was specific about.

Another update - Jeff Beimfohr's bio is no longer available on WATN's website so it would appear indeed he is out as well at 24. Unsure of what the exact circumstances are there. But now WATN has to fill two big anchor positions and I assume they will want to before the May sweeps. They're going to have to get somebody familiar to Memphis to fill Joyce's shoes, whether that's somebody like Donna Davis or not. She is undoubtedly one of Memphis's most likable tv personalities (and engaging, especially on social media) and was really WATN's biggest asset I'd have to say. Just when you think 24/30 might have begun to turn a big corner...

Archived