WPTY/WLMT Memphis Announces Complete Station Overhaul

memnews1

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Duratran for the 10 PM. Looks very nice. Not nearly as many glitches thus far either.

Yep, much like the 6:00, in fact maybe even fewer. I wonder if the issues are something specifically with WLMT.

I see what you guys were talking about when you said the weather computer was running slow.

I didn't think a brand new weather computer would run at the same speed at my 6 year old laptop.

Ha! Happy to say that was not an issue at either 9 or 10, so they squared that one away pretty quickly I think.

I'm seeing some minor format changes at 10, nothing huge so far but all improvements IMO. I think the biggest thing is just purely interaction between everybody on set between segments, which simply wasn't possible in the old setup.

I am very impressed with what Nexstar has done with this station. This could be the turnaround they have been waiting for. The graphics are definitely WKRC but WATN makes it their own with the nice views of Memphis. Use of voiceover Charle Van Dyke is always good in my book. His voice just says, "it's time for news." I usually stream WREG's news. But starting Monday, I'm making the switch to localmemphis.com and watch their livestream. It may be an uphill climb for them, but I think they can finally become competitive in Memphis.

Does anyone have any screen grabs of the duratran used at 10?

I'm sure either Trevor or TennTV83 will have it soon. I must say I think might prefer it to the newsroom background (though I still like that too). It came across really nice in HD.

I'll say this, as always I'll be watching everybody in town at certain points, but WATN has probably got me for a while now as my most frequent choice. I can't even believe I'm saying that about a Nexstar station but there's no denying they committed incredibly to this operation and the city. I sincerely hope average viewers take notice.

I think that was a better news product than anything in Phoenix. For some reason we have a lot of overly serious or fluffy news here. This was completely different.

Not only did Nexstar really work wonders (I'd have to see one of the last WPTY newscasts to compare truly but I get the sense of what they were like), but they did the biggest investment in local TV really anywhere in some time (certainly since 2008). For a company that prioritizes accretion and consolidation at so many of their smaller operations, this is very unusual.

Weekend cosmetic change launches is highly common. This is in case they have to do some tweaks, before the weekday. You don't want to have any have a plethora of glitches if it was the weekday launch. So they will obviously will be doing some tweaks before the Monday shows, if not for tomorrow night.

I remember Saturday, January 6, 2007 like a bell, when WLS started their HD newscast. That time & temp bug font was almost as big as the station logo below it. By the Monday evening shows, they'd decreased the font size.

I love the fact that many of the colleagues at the competing stations have showed their congrats to channel 24 and their new digs.

They have? Where?

Couple of notes from the morning side which relaunched today

As I expected, I think the addition of Joy Lambert is going to work out quite well. Just a much better dynamic having a co-anchor at all and it already felt to me like she had been in that position for a while. Also happy to see both sticking around for the midday news, WREG had been the only station for years that kept two anchors on the 11 AM/Noon show.

On the downside, it was very evident the morning crew did not have as much rehearsal time as the evening folks on the technical side. It was rather bumpy. That will all work out eventually but could be a rough week to start. Also, the Beat the Traffic software was not well tuned. Fonts were tiny, satellite mapping looked blurry and they had a "Travel Time" graphic that often went well outside the safe zones. Got to fix that.

...Speaking of safe zones, the CW30 bug was not fixed on last night's 9 PM. I do hope they noticed that.

It wasn't fixed during the 7 AM show either.

Not sure when it happened but checked out tonight at 9 and the CW30 bug is placed correctly now.

Otherwise, still noticing some continuing glitches between WATN/WLMT as I check in every now and then as things slowly settle. Also, no live streaming yet. A FB reply indicated they want to get the on-air stuff worked out before getting to streaming, which is the right idea.

Bumping this topic for some surprising news (at least to me) regarding WATN's sports department: Doc Holliday is *not* their new main sports anchor as seemed certain given how he was presented at their relaunch. I've just been told former WGCL's Gil Tyree has been hired, who most recently worked at Georgia Public Broadcasting. Cameron Harper is also tweeting the news.

Apparently there is a ribbon cutting ceremony happening today for the new building. Several of the local mayors as well as ABC and CW execs are in town, as well as at least ABC's Dan Harris.

Sorry for what's now essentially a quadruple post. Nexstar CEO Perry Sook was among those in attendance, he just announced WATN will "expand news and other local programming" in the coming months on the 5 PM newscast. Apparently 30 minute sports specials are first on the list (making the station as a sports destination seems to be a focus based on these latest hires).

In case anybody was wondering, WJKT coming in pretty strongly tonight on the antenna. This is how the WLMT 9 PM simulcast looks, all the same except the Fox 16 HD bug, which actually looks much better than the CW30 bug IMO.

sv5t.jpg

Is it me or does the presence of talent IDs for their investigative unit hint at more franchise reporting?

Starting to look like you may be right about this.

Not only does WATN now have Jeni DiPrizio as their primary investigator and Mike Matthews as their Watchdog reporter on political issues, they are starting to update newscast talent IDs with new titles. New reporter Elizabeth Googe is now taking on a role as their "Local in Mississippi" reporter (to be fair, Shelley Orman previously had essentially been the same - she primarily covered stories there). KLRT's David Goins will be providing weekly reports called "Covering the Capitol" for Arkansas and more KARK/KLRT integration is coming. He made his first appearance last night from LR with a Local 24 mic flag. Weekend meteorologist Sean Parker will be serving as their weekday "Environmental" reporter. Finally, longtime producer Rae Lyn Hartley is now being brought on-air as a "Lifestyle/Entertainment" reporter (she will continue to produce). I've also heard they are looking to add in-studio Political and Health contributors as warranted for stories/events, something they haven't done since pre-2002 overhaul.

WATN also has new openings for a GA reporter and MMJ, so seems like they are looking at expanding the on-air staff further.

In case anybody was wondering, WJKT coming in pretty strongly tonight on the antenna. This is how the WLMT 9 PM simulcast looks, all the same except the Fox 16 HD bug, which actually looks much better than the CW30 bug IMO.

sv5t.jpg

Can you upload both news montages from WLMT and WJKT on YouTube? I don't have any luck on finding both.

Archived