An old 1980s article about News Music.

The Christian Science Monitor posted an old November 1981 article about (the early days of) News Music. It includes mentions of themes from Telesound, ABC News, News People (by Tuesday, but they didn't mention the firm by name) & CBS Sunday Morning theme 'Ablassen'. It also mentions Bob Israel of Score & David Horak from (the now defunct) Telesound.

I'm shocked that they didn't mention about Frank Gari. He probably didn't peak on the news side until a heavy volume of stations used the Hello campaigns. Except for the stations that used movie scores for news themes like the 007 Theme & Cool Hand Luke, companies of Telesound, Mayoham, Randall, Peters, Klien &, and TM, among some others were scattered around, and it wasn't a clear leading music company.

It wasn't until 1984 when a certain Texas firm and a certain Tennessee firm would start their shops and the rest was history. Sorry, I had to add that in there.

The Christian Science Monitor posted an old November 1981 article about (the early days of) News Music. It includes mentions of themes from Telesound, ABC News, News People (by Tuesday, but they didn't mention the firm by name) & CBS Sunday Morning theme 'Ablassen'. It also mentions Bob Israel of Score & David Horak from (the now defunct) Telesound.

I'm shocked that they didn't mention about Frank Gari. He probably didn't peak on the news side until a heavy volume of stations used the Hello campaigns. Except for the stations that used movie scores for news themes like the 007 Theme & Cool Hand Luke, companies of Telesound, Mayoham, Randall, Peters, Klien &, and TM, among some others were scattered around, and it wasn't a clear leading music company.

It wasn't until 1984 when a certain Texas firm and a certain Tennessee firm would start their shops and the rest was history. Sorry, I had to add that in there.

I listened to 'Ablassen' that is the theme song to CBS Sunday Morning theme, it was pretty cool to listen to.

I listened to 'Ablassen' which was pretty cool for a CBS Sunday Morning Theme!

I listened to 'Ablassen' which was pretty cool for a CBS Sunday Morning Theme!

Frank Gari was just starting to wade into news music at the time this article was written - Hello News was probably just entering use then, right? I don't think he made major inroads until 83/84, when "Turn To News" and "News Series 2000" entered usage.

I think the article was right to focus on what they focused on. The World News Tonight theme was nothing short of revolutionary, both as the first legitimate national news theme and one of the first examples of what Arnold would call "Sonic Branding".

Archived