WHTM (Formally WTPA) ABC27 celebates 60 years

susquvalleywgal

LINK: http://www.abc27.com/video?clipId=9044426&autostart=true

DETAILS: Well today WHTM-TV ABC27 held their invitation only 60th Anniversary Open House. As I mentioned on a previous thread a few weeks ago, I was lucky enough to be a person's guest and I had the opportunity to check out the studio. The link above is the story that ABC27 ran earlier today.

The event was very good. Held from 1PM to 4PM ... there was a nice fruit and cookie spread out (best way I can say it) held outside by the rarely used ABC27 Weather Garden. I got to meet my weather mentor/hero Chuck Rhodes. He's great. Still VERY VERY witty and pleasant to be around. He does not miss the weather one bit and he said that, "I left the weather team in very capable hands I don't miss it one bit." I don't believe that for one hot second, but I digest. At 2PM, there was the guided tour of the studios, control room, master control and the newsroom.

Please forgive me and if someone can help me out by PM or something, I do have video of the tour. I don't upload videos much, so if someone could help me upload, I will be glad to post online.

The studio is very small. The biggest part is the Weather Center. Very impressive. Over 30 skycams throughout the HLLY market. Got to meet Ryan Coyle and Eric Finkenbinder. Both very nice people.

Then off to control room and that was nice. The audio board that they still use is like a relic from the 1980s. If it's not broke, don't fix it right? Then off to Master Control. Now, I did a WGAL tour when I was very young, so this really was the first tour that I could really appreciate and enjoy. I cannot believe how noisy a Master Control room could be. It was amazing.

Last part of the tour was the Newsroom. Must be honest, and I was not impressed too much with that. Very small and cramped space. The news director spoke for a few minutes. Stated that WHTM is the number one in the market for social media, etc. There is a small space within the newsroom for live shot and that was nice to see. And yes, on one door, they do have a STAR on with GNOZA on it. Priceless.

The tour then ended and then I got some swag to go home with. I know I diss ABC27 when I can get the chance, as with us all. But this was nice that they could take some time on a lazy, hot summer day and open it up. The news/weather geek of me was happy to be part of this tour and I was like a kid on Christmas morning, seeing the inner workings of a television station. A good time was had by all.

-- Matt

Archived