Possible CBS O&O Blackout on Time Warner Cable

bammy9

From the look of things, Time Warner Cable will be dropping the CBS owned stations next Wednesday. CBS and Time Warner cannot agree on carriage fees for their stations in New York, Los Angeles, and Dallas/Ft. Worth, as well as the CBS owned cable networks, including Showtime. The network has started a campaign to inform the viewers about the situation and asks the viewer to tell TWC to Keep CBS.

NEW YORK TIMES ARTICLE: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/19/business/media/cbs-in-contract-showdown-with-time-warner-cable.html?_r=0

KEEP CBS WEBSITE: http://keepcbs.com/

Well, it looks like CBS is staying... for the weekend. The question is, will TWC agree to the "600%" fee increase, or will CBS settle. We'll find out early next week on "Two Major Companies Bickering Over Money"

So CBS got dropped briefly on TWC systems, and then brought back on late last night. Now they've extended the deadline to Friday at 5pm/EDT.

Will they stop toying with folks and get something done?

I also found out that WBBM is also involved (based on this B&C article) because WBBM is significantly viewed in Kenosha & Racine counties in Wisconsin. The other side of the border is obviously Comcast country.

Here in Dallas, with TWC dropping KTVT, I can't even look at Wheel, J!, Dr. Phil, CBS 11 News, and over on TXA 21, I can't even look at Texas Rangers: Friday Night Baseball. Message to TWC and CBS and to that jerk Moonves: GET YOUR PROBLEM SOLVED & JUST DEAL ALREADY!

Here in Dallas, with TWC dropping KTVT, I can't even look at Wheel, J!, Dr. Phil, CBS 11 News, and over on TXA 21, I can't even look at Texas Rangers: Friday Night Baseball. Message to TWC and CBS and to that jerk Moonves: GET YOUR PROBLEM SOLVED & JUST DEAL ALREADY!

My advice is to dig out an antenna and watch it OTA if you can.

Moonves isn't the jerk. It's Britt's problem. Even better idea: cancel TWC and go with someone else. I'm glad I did. I hate TWC with a passion. Always notice that they have retrans disputes more than any other major provider?

This screenshot confirms that:

CBSTW.jpg

picture from TVSpy

Moonves isn't the jerk. It's Britt's problem. Even better idea: cancel TWC and go with someone else. I'm glad I did. I hate TWC with a passion. Always notice that they have retrans disputes more than any other major provider?

This screenshot confirms that:

CBSTW.jpg

picture from TVSpy

TWC wants to keep down the price of TV? Since when?

TWC wants to keep down the price of TV? Since when?

TWC loves to play the victim. They're in a pissing match with FOX Sports here in San Diego, refusing to carry FSN (and the channel is well into its second year and has yet to be picked up, citing cost as a factor. Yet every other video provider offers it.). Of course we can't forget that TWC and FOX Sports were fighting with each other in LA over the rights to Dodger games, they said that FOX was charging way too much for their sports channels and decided to get into the regional tv business as a way to keep prices low. Just wait till the FOX O&O's/FSN stations come up for renewals, then you'll really see TWC sharpen its claws.

FWIW, this article was in Sunday's paper:

CBS-Time Warner dispute has some local impact

By Jeanne Jakle August 4, 2013

Time Warner Cable's blackout of CBS continued Saturday, but San Antonio's CBS affiliate was not affected because KENS-TV isn't owned by the network.

That means local Time Warner subscribers need not worry about missing popular programming such as “Under the Dome” and “Big Brother,” Melissa Sorola, director of public relations for Time Warner in Texas, said Saturday. She added that local subscribers also won't be robbed of watching Tiger Woods try to win the CBS-televised Bridgestone Invitational, which continues through Sunday.

However, San Antonio viewers who access CBS-owned cable channels Showtime, The Movie Channel, Flix and Smithsonian Channel via Time Warner will lose out until the dispute over carriage fees between the cable giant and CBS is resolved. They'll be without popular programs such as “Dexter” and “Ray Donovan” while the blackout is in effect. Another loss to local customers, according to Sorola, is CBS prime-time programming on Time Warner's Prime Time on Demand (Channel 957). CBS also has blocked all programming online (CBS.com) to Time Warner Cable Internet customers.

Sorola said customers who subscribe to Showtime and The Movie Channel will be credited for the cost of those premium channels, retroactive to the day (Friday) that they lost the channels' programming. “They'll see the credit on their next bill,” Sorola said. Beginning Sunday, Showtime customers will get replacement programming consisting of Starz shows, and Movie Channel customers will get Encore programming. As for how long the blackout will continue, Sorola said that's up in the air.

“We thank our customers for their patience and support as we continue to fight hard to keep their prices down,” Sorola said.

[email protected]

Another interesting read: Time Warner Cable thinks CBS should be sold a la carte, in other words, separate from every other channel...

TWC loves to play the victim.

Didn't they also "play the victim" last year with Hearst, once again claiming that Hearst was demanding far too much money from them? Either all of these companies really ARE trying to charge way too much money, or Time Warner Cable has used the same old excuse over and over again that it's obvious they're playing games.

Didn't they also "play the victim" last year with Hearst, once again claiming that Hearst was demanding far too much money from them? Either all of these companies really ARE trying to charge way too much money, or Time Warner Cable has used the same old excuse over and over again that it's obvious they're playing games.

The latter. TWC always has these problems more than any other major provider as far as I've seen. It's clear that Time Warner has issues they need to work on...

Kind of posting something old but I found this full screenshot of that screen posted above from FTVLive:

cbs3n-1-web.jpg?format=750w

What I find interesting is that they're telling people if they want CBS to go out and try Aereo (also one of TWC's competitors). I don't think CBS is too happy with that. I think TWC did that purposely to piss CBS off further.

• 3 weeks later...

Well since this blackout is dragging on and on throughout this month of August, the B&C states tonight that the FCC is finally stepping in to try to talk with CBS & Time Warner Cable, in hopes to end this CBS blackout on Time Warner Cable systems.

I hope they hurry up before the NFL regular season occurs.

You obviously haven't heard of Dish Network or their reputation.

Correct. Dish (formerly Dish Network) likes to squeeze profits. Charlie Ergen is, and while this is not always a bad thing, a tightwad. Heck! If you stuck coal up his butt he could produce diamonds!

Archived