Pittsburgh ratings, for those of you out of market...

jestbiteme

KDKA just can't grab hold in the mornings, but they kicked butt everywhere else. It amazes me how competitive Pittsburgh is, how close the books tend to be. WPXI has lost so much ground that it makes me laugh; and I'm still amazed that KDKA-TV News at Four kicks Oprah and Judy's collective ass.

20070525newsratings.gif

Courtesy: Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

It's interesting to contrast KDKA's rating dominance with a not-so-nice review of working there:

After having worked at KDKA for the past four years (not in the news dept.), and leaving for a much better job outside of TV, I can tell you why stuff like that happens:

Nobody there gives a crap about how stuff looks on the air. Two reasons: the behind-the-scenes pay sucks, and the general attitude of the management there pretty much is "let's see how cheap we can be and how far we can let this go downhill before it causes major problems". Two good examples were the dirty DVC Pro decks that would have constantly blocky video on the air, and the crappy audio, both of 2003-2004. Their sets also just look plain junky.

All the management is concerned about there is making money. Nothing else.

Finally, if KDKA ever offers tours of their studios during the Arts Festival, take it. Not to be wowed, but to be shocked at how much of a dump the place is.

Coming back to the bottom crawl issue: They don't care. It would only become an issue if they were called out on it from in the PG/Trib, and even then, it would still start happening again eventually. As long as they can manage to stay #1 in most news dayparts (and by how I don't know), they won't give a hoot how bad it actually looks on the air.

Obviously, take it a grain of salt as it is from a message board.

When WFRV was still an O&O, they also had horrible ratings in the morning. Sometimes, they would even get beaten by WGBA, which is the 4th place station in all other day parts.

It will be interesting to see if the station will continue to show the Early Show, now that they aren't an O&O.

Archived