WCCO debuts new "Rooftop Studio", KARE follows with "Backyard" makeover

Thundershock MN

After abandoning their downtown Minneapolis rooftop a decade or so ago WCCO is returning to the roof. Out is the old "Rooftop Garden" that used to occupy the space. In is the new "Rooftop Studio" featuring full outdoor kitchen, fire pit seating area and lawn & garden spaces.

Also debuting is the WCCO "Weather Watcher" a nod to the old "Weatherball". The new "Weather Watcher" tower will change color, like the old "Weatherball" depending upon weather conditions. Once, the "Weather Watcher" makes it's debut at months end the colors will also be displayed on wcco.com & during newscasts.

As always, your thoughts?

. In is the new "Rooftop Studio" featuring full outdoor kitchen, fire pit seating area and lawn & garden spaces.

Also debuting is the WCCO "Weather Watcher" a nod to the old "Weatherball". The new "Weather Watcher" tower will change color, like the old "Weatherball" depending upon weather conditions. Once, the "Weather Watcher" makes it's debut at months end the colors will also be displayed on wcco.com & during newscasts.

As always, your thoughts?

What on earth is this? LOL

Do they do a lot of cooking segments that require a full outfoor kitchen or entertain guests in a garden space?

Replies in random order:

I wonder if they will launch the new CBS O&O graphics when they open the new studio. Do you know when it might be completed? Edit: WCCO article says November 29th.

The "Weather Watcher" will debut on November 29th before the annual Holidazzle parade that takes place on Nicollet Mall adjacent to the studio. The date was chosen due to the significance of the old "Weatherball" being rendered inoperable as a result of the 1982 Thanksgiving Day Fire. The fire destroyed the Northwestern National Bank building the "Weatherball" sat atop of. As the "Weather Watcher" is meant to mimic the old "Weatherball" 'CCO management decided to illuminate their new weather beacon 31 years after the previous incarnation had it's lights turned out.

To the best of my knowledge the "Rooftop Studio" is set to debut sometime this month. I haven't heard an exact date though.

They probably got a deal on the construction since it's taking place so late in the season.

Too bad they won't be able to use it until next June.

See reply above. Should be debuting later this month. No need to wait until June.

...November?

...In Minnesota?

Sure why the heck not. Outside of the usual January deep freeze, I use my Grill year round.

What on earth is this? LOL

Do they do a lot of cooking segments that require a full outfoor kitchen or entertain guests in a garden space?

This might get a little long winded. So, apologies in advance.

WCCO is a little weird. For starters their Kitchen Set for cooking segments is 5 blocks down the road at the "Cambria Studio" in the street level space of the CBS Radio building now.

The "Cambria Studio" was the brainchild of Mick Anselmo, SVP & Market Manger for CBS Radio - Minneapolis. He desperately wanted a performance studio like he had during his time across town at Clear Channel. Having vacant former retail space on the street level of the CBS Radio building provided an ideal space. But, budgets being what they are now days don't really provide for such luxuries. So, Mick got creative and partnered with Cambria to create the "Cambria Studio" a hybrid retail showroom/ studio. Cambria got a secondary showroom to showcase their products downtown, CBS Radio - Minneapolis got a 208 person performance studio/ concert space and WCCO-TV got a brand new kitchen set (albeit 5 blocks from their main studio). A win-win-win for everybody at a much smaller investment point for each party. For those interested here is a video of a cooking segment from the new "Cambria Studio. And, here is a brief :20 clip of a concert from the "Cambria Studio" showing the performance studio set up along with the stage.

WCCO has always kinda marched to the beat of their own drum. Their Creative Department does great work and has for some time now had a hand in creating unique looks and sets/spaces to use. It's one reason I was a bit disappointed by the set that WCCO recently debuted. They don't need a kitchen set at their building anymore. So, what the hell why not build an outdoor kitchen set and have something different and unique. And, while they are at it they might as well do some landscaping around it and create a lawn space on the roof for other potential segments.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I didn't feel like creating a whole new thread. So, I just retitled and bumped this one since they go hand in hand.

Anyway, KARE apparently is feeling like some of their thunder has been stolen by WCCO. They have decided to redesign the KARE 11 "Backyard." They came up with two designs (Modern & Northwoods.) And, In a case of monkey see-monkey do they have replicated some of the same elements WCCO implemented in the "Rooftop Studio." The new KARE "Backyard will include an outdoor kitchen and seating around a fire feature. Since, I am slow to get here and post this voting has closed and the Northwoods design was selected the winner.

In any case the redesign of the "Backyard" will be a vast improvement over the massive concrete slab patio they have been using for decades. The new KARE 11 "Backyard" should debut in May-June.

Archived