Action News 3pm Briefs & Cut-Ins

rear_flank

What's up with 6abc cutting into the first few minutes of Katie just to do 2-3 minutes of news that people probably don't care about? You know Action News will repeat those same stories/headlines again during their 4, 5, 6, 10, and 11pm newscasts. It's really ashame for people who watch Katie and have to miss the first few minutes of it just for news that is not important. I also love when they do the weather and have nothing to say about it. Who cares that it's 40º outside and there's nothing on satellite/radar unless you look way out to the west of the area.

The other thing I hate is when they break into programming or split the screen for something that is totally stupid and can wait until the newscast. Nobody cares about an accident that's backing up a roadway and half the time they dont have any good details yet on the story. The ticker always says "watch Action News at 4 for the latest details". I think 6abc is always trying to be the first to show something that CBS, FOX, and NBC aern't showing. It gets pretty aggravating after a while (especially when you watch their afternoon programming)

Is it a news brief or breaking news that has been preempting the first few mins of Katie?

If it's a news brief then that's strange and they must have gotten the OK from higher ups at Disney/ABC ... Maybe it's a precursor to what many have speculated: Katie will lose her comfy 3pm slot on ABC stations next fall, if she doesn't lose the show altogether.

Ok it's blatantly not sweeps, and you aren't missing the much of Katie- if it ends at 3:01, that's basically only the opening credits. Stations don't do this sort of thing for sweeps. It could be that they're trying something different- we'll see for sure once sweeps is over... And yes- it is all about having it before the other stations- that's the definition of local competitive news, and 6ABC is number one- the statement that viewers don't care about a traffic backup or something is terribly flawed- many people like to keep up to date on these things, especially if they are in the office (and for some reason watching Katie) or home getting ready to go somewhere- stuff like that is always relevant.

From what I've seen, it is about a two minute brief, and yes, it cuts into the opening credits of Katie.

I can't shake the feeling that something is not working in 6's afternoon lineup, and it's either Katie or the 4pm news. Clearly, they've been doing things that seem desperate and out of character for 6. They went to the short open for the 4, they've been pushing updates in the app that just tease the 4pm, and they promote the bejeezus out of it whenever they can.

Blowing out the first two minutes of a key syndicated show for a news brief is highly unusual and tells me that there's likely a very serious problem with Katie. Certainly, the 3pm slot is very competitive, with Ellen on 10, Queen Latifah on 3, and Dr. Oz on 29. That they're doing the short open to lead out of Katie and get to the news straight away is also a sign that doesn't bode well for Katie.

At the same time, 10 is going for 6's throat at 4pm - moreso than at any other newscast time. Granted, they're doing a way different 4pm news than 6 is. While Action News at 4 is news-lite, NBC 10 News at 4 is likely their most substantive newscast outside of their 11pm. They splitscreen the end credits of Ellen, run one of their random opens, and then proceed to do 22 straight minutes of news. And I mean News - full reports, substantial reports (though they do tease more details for later in the 4-6:30 block), and a lot of live reporters on the scene. By the time 10 finally takes its first break, 6 is usually on its second or even third.

10 is not laying down - they are putting up a serious fight. And they are doing the better 4pm newscast.

---

Also, if we want to talk about cutins... well, apparently the other day NBC 10 did a live cut-in at 3.

And by 3, I mean THREE IN THE MORNING.

If it's a news brief then that's strange and they must have gotten the OK from higher ups at Disney/ABC ... Maybe it's a precursor to what many have speculated: Katie will lose her comfy 3pm slot on ABC stations next fall, if she doesn't lose the show altogether.

Hate to say it but... I told ya so.

Further sign of something wrong at 3pm: WPVI will be preempting "Katie" tomorrow for a live call-in foodbank telethon/broadcast hosted by Rick Williams and Monica Malpass. I don't think I've ever heard of WPVI preempting afternoon syndicated programing for a scheduled news special.

Further sign of something wrong at 3pm: WPVI will be preempting "Katie" tomorrow for a live call-in foodbank telethon/broadcast hosted by Rick Williams and Monica Malpass. I don't think I've ever heard of WPVI preempting afternoon syndicated programing for a scheduled news special.

Wow. Yeah, I've seen KYW do that, WCAU do that, but never WPVI. At least it's for a good cause, but still, it's alarming that they're pre-empting her for a day during sweeps.

Another question - has anyone noticed any promotion for Katie lately on 6?

Oh wow! That's really a sign that Katie is not doing good on Channel 6. I wonder what they would replace the show with? I would really think they wouldn't add another newscast but who knows. These local channels want to have news 24 hours a day like their CNN or something

Another question - has anyone noticed any promotion for Katie lately on 6?

Only a "today on Katie...." plug during the noon news broadcasts I ever notice recently, but I havn't seen a noon broadcast in about 8 days, so it might've stopped there too.

Archived