Champions League Soccer Bidding Begins

jmkcool2002

I wrote about it here: http://jmanmediazone.blogspot.com/2013/12/handicapping-uefa-champions-league.html

I believe the rights will be split between NBC, Univision and BeIN. NBC will take on the Champions League rights and help NBC become the premier soccer channel in the States while Univision is a trusted name in the Latino world. BeIN will be able to prove it's case by carrying the rights to Europa League, which will be a test to prove it's legitimacy versus the other big networks.

Your insight is very impressive. I truly believe each and every word. I also think NBC will take US rights in UEFA Champ League; they truly have been aggressive and perfect in their coverage and Univision should get Spanish rights for the same reasons. ESPN shouldn't because they don't focus enough on Soccer and too much on everything else. That Discovery thing kinda makes sense.

You raise some good points and I would like to see the UEFA Champions League on NBC considering the phenomenal job they do with the English Premier League.

That said, the other thing to consider is that Fox has the rights to the FIFA World Cup in 2018 and 2022. After losing the rights to other minor leagues, I have a feeling Fox is going to make a strong bid to keep the UEFA rights just so they can maintain what is left of their credibility when it comes to soccer, leading up to the FIFA World Cup in 2018 and 2022.

Archived