Several local FOX stations refused to broadcast a very important FA Cup match today.

AaronQ

http://worldsoccertalk.com/2014/01/04/if-you-live-in-miami-and-you-want-to-watch-arsenal-spurs-on-fox-today-youre-screwed/

Several local FOX stations (which includes WSVN in Miami) didn't broadcast a vital FA Cup match between Arsenal vs Tottenham Hotspur today and instead put infomercials, a movie, or a rerun of a TV show, which it made Arsenal fans, Tottenham fans, and soccer fans in general really pissed and take it out on social media.

*sigh*...

I hate this weird "SOCCER NOT SPORT FOOTBALLLLLLLLLLLLLLL" mentality fostered by sports talk parasite hosts and their ilk. Especially when we're getting scores of evidence that soccer is not only gaining acceptance in this country, but thriving. Those Barclays Premier League games on NBC have been doing good and getting more or less universal clearance, right? Because that's the impression I'm getting.

But of course NBC's always been adamant that its full schedule is shown, while Fox can barely get their owned and operated television stations to agree with the network's strategy. And to some station owners, nothing is more sacred than their treasured infomercials. Then again, Fox hasn't necessarily done a good job communicating to people what the FA Cup is and why we should care. (Same with the Champions League.)

http://worldsoccertalk.com/2014/01/04/if-you-live-in-miami-and-you-want-to-watch-arsenal-spurs-on-fox-today-youre-screwed/

Several local FOX stations (which includes WSVN in Miami) didn't broadcast a vital FA Cup match between Arsenal vs Tottenham Hotspur today and instead put infomercials, a movie, or a rerun of a TV show, which it made Arsenal fans, Tottenham fans, and soccer fans in general really pissed and take it out on social media.

WSVN is a repeat offender with that kind of stuff. Which is odd, considering that South Florida has a lot of people from overseas including Great Britain who might actually be interested in the FA cup.

KRIV is another head-scratcher too. Especially considering that they're an O&O.

WSVN is a repeat offender with that kind of stuff. Which is odd, considering that South Florida has a lot of people from overseas including Great Britain who might actually be interested in the FA cup.

KRIV is another head-scratcher too. Especially considering that they're an O&O.

I heard that KRIV broadcast the match, but thank goodness that WJZY broadcast the match as well (for a new O&O). And it reminds me why NBC needs to get the rights to the FA Cup as well.

*sigh*...

I hate this weird "SOCCER NOT SPORT FOOTBALLLLLLLLLLLLLLL" mentality fostered by sports talk parasite hosts and their ilk. Especially when we're getting scores of evidence that soccer is not only gaining acceptance in this country, but thriving. Those Barclays Premier League games on NBC have been doing good and getting more or less universal clearance, right? Because that's the impression I'm getting.

But of course NBC's always been adamant that its full schedule is shown, while Fox can barely get their owned and operated television stations to agree with the network's strategy. And to some station owners, nothing is more sacred than their treasured infomercials. Then again, Fox hasn't necessarily done a good job communicating to people what the FA Cup is and why we should care. (Same with the Champions League.)

I agree, and plus we're going to be stuck with FOX with the World Cup for 2018 and 2022 as well, which I got a bad feeling that they're going to screw it up big time.

I doubt there is a station manager in the world who's sitting behind their desk trying to figure out the next way they can screw over Soccer fans. What likely happened is they couldn't sell ad time during the game, but could sell the time itself for infomercials.

It could happen on any station, really.

I doubt there is a station manager in the world who's sitting behind their desk trying to figure out the next way they can screw over Soccer fans. What likely happened is they couldn't sell ad time during the game, but could sell the time itself for infomercials.

It could happen on any station, really.

Agreed. I can't imagine a GM saying "screw soccer fans" but can see them trying to make budget this month so they don't get fired.

Agreed. I can't imagine a GM saying "screw soccer fans" but can see them trying to make budget this month so they don't get fired.

And admittedly soccer is tricky to sell. One of the reasons I think it hasn't caught on in America sooner is because it's not "advertiser friendly". Football, you can shove in a commercial or two every five minutes. Turnover? Commercial. Touchdown? Commercial. Injury? Cue up the somber Fox injury music, then commercial.

Soccer has no breaks in play like that; any injury or penalty or whatever is added on to the end of the half. That means you have two extended periods where you're going 45 minutes - minimum - without a commercial break. I can see how that would spook many station managers....

And admittedly soccer is tricky to sell. One of the reasons I think it hasn't caught on in America sooner is because it's not "advertiser friendly". Football, you can shove in a commercial or two every five minutes. Turnover? Commercial. Touchdown? Commercial. Injury? Cue up the somber Fox injury music, then commercial.

Soccer has no breaks in play like that; any injury or penalty or whatever is added on to the end of the half. That means you have two extended periods where you're going 45 minutes - minimum - without a commercial break. I can see how that would spook many station managers....

But most of those commercial breaks are on the national level, the affiliates don't get ad money from those right? How is a Fox Soccer game any different compared to the other Fox Sports events these affilates carry?

I don't think they're doing it to spite soccer fans, but I still can't figure out how running a B-level syndicated movie or other low budget program would bring in more viewers/ad money than a nationally televised event?

But most of those commercial breaks are on the national level, the affiliates don't get ad money from those right? How is a Fox Soccer game any different compared to the other Fox Sports events these affilates carry?

I don't think they're doing it to spite soccer fans, but I still can't figure out how running a B-level syndicated movie or other low budget program would bring in more viewers/ad money than a nationally televised event?

You're right...it shouldn't be any different than an affiliate carrying any other game from Fox Sports.

I agree that the station managers probably aren't trying to spite soccer fans...they just figure the number of soccer fans is probably tiny, so they might as well preempt the game with infomercials where they can make some quick, easy money; or a syndicated show where the station can sell virtually all the avails locally.

I'm actually kind of surprised Fox allows this, as the network seems to run a pretty tight ship, as far as local preemptions go.

Archived