KTLA GM Don Corsini adds KSWB to his oversight

Bsean

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvspy/ktla-general-manager-don-corsini-adds-oversight-of-kswb_b113297

Very interesting move for Tribune. I could see this being good for KSWB to add some content and coverage to its broadcasts. I did already notice on their morning news now they have begin running the same McDonald's ad on the studio monitors before going to commercial break like KTLA.

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvspy/ktla-general-manager-don-corsini-adds-oversight-of-kswb_b113297

Very interesting move for Tribune. I could see this being good for KSWB to add some content and coverage to its broadcasts. I did already notice on their morning news now they have begin running the same McDonald's ad on the studio monitors before going to commercial break like KTLA.

KSWB will be a KTLA jr. Which is not a bad thing per se. They're lagging in the the ratings, so maybe some changes are in the works. I know it won't happen, but it would be nice if Corsini was able to get KSWB their own chopper to use instead of having to rely on KFMB/Metro Networks. If there is breaking news and Chopper 8 is covering it, you'll see the same exact footage at the same time on 4 different stations.

Tribune did this recently in Dallas once that station's GM retired. They then tapped their Houston GM to oversee KDAF in addition to KIAH. Look what he did there, he dumped Nightcap and replaced it with Newsfix if that means anything. I guess Tribune is having their GMs oversee other stations as the opportunities become available as a cost-cutting move. I don't like it honestly, I think each local station needs to have their own GM than somebody else in another city going in every so often to manage them.

Tribune did this recently in Dallas once that station's GM retired. They then tapped their Houston GM to oversee KDAF in addition to KIAH. Look what he did there, he dumped Nightcap and replaced it with Newsfix if that means anything. I guess Tribune is having their GMs oversee other stations as the opportunities become available as a cost-cutting move. I don't like it honestly, I think each local station needs to have their own GM than somebody else in another city going in every so often to manage them.

I agree. Although I think this could be a short term move until Larry Wert decides how he wants to handle the organizational structure of Tribune's stations. I have been critical of Corsini in the past especially during his time at KCBS-KCAL, but I gotta give himp props for the job he's done at KTLA. In the mean time, I could definitely see more collaboration with KTLA.

Also, he may push for additional broadcasts. I don't know if Corsini is behind KSWB doing a Super Bowl edition of the morning as maybe a test before diving in to the weekend morning race, but I could see him pushing for weekend mornings and a midday at either 12 or 1.

I doubt a 1pm newscast would work in the SD market. Maybe an 11am since noon newscasts always fail. Look at KFMB and KNSD. All trying to compete with KGTV.

Yes, I agree, a weekend morning show and possibly a 6pm weekend edition for KSWB would be good in the future...question is, more staffing/freelancers and with the new expanded newsroom that shouldn't be a problem now that their news operation has grown significantly.

I doubt a 1pm newscast would work in the SD market. Maybe an 11am since noon newscasts always fail. Look at KFMB and KNSD. All trying to compete with KGTV.

Yes, I agree, a weekend morning show and possibly a 6pm weekend edition for KSWB would be good in the future...question is, more staffing/freelancers and with the new expanded newsroom that shouldn't be a problem now that their news operation has grown significantly.

I think a noon could work, but only if they used a different crew. KNSD and KFMB dropped the noon not just to compete with KGTV but because they were using the AM crew for the noon newscast. It made it rough for everyone involved to come in at 2 or 3am and leave work at 1pm. I agree that they need more news on the weekend. Going 24 hrs between newscasts from Friday to Sunday is not ideal.

Archived