The Story Behind The NFL on Fox theme

Jess

Deadspin ran this very awesome piece a couple days ago, leading up to the Super Bowl. It's about the NFL on Fox music, well, the story behind it anyway.

Apparently, the inspiration came from David Hill, who was at a Six Flags attending Batman: The Ride... which features the Batman theme from the Tim Burton movie. Or, in other words, this:

[yt]lEx9r5enZsk[/yt]

I know, it's the animated series intro... but dammit, I needed an excuse to link to the greatest television intro of all time.

Anyway, George Greenberg was Fox Sports' creative director and had just come on board. Hill's brief: "Give me Batman playing football. Batman on steroids." Greenberg called up Scott Schreer, who he'd worked with at ABC, and gave him two days. He banged out three demos, all of which were spectacular. The final theme wound up being the introduction to theme one and the body of theme two.

The rest is history.

Now if they'd just use the damn baseball music again.

EDIT: Oh, and the comments section is very interesting too. A lot of people have been recounting their favorite sports themes. NHL on ESPN shows up a lot, as does - rightfully - Roundball Rock. People keep dissing the current NFL on CBS theme, though... which I think I like even more than Fox's...

I do very much like the NFL on CBS theme

more than the NFL on Fox theme.

Speaking of the the NFL on Fox, what was this this easy listening version of the NFL on Fox this year and the use of 2 graphics package?! I thought Fox did a very bad job with the presentation this year (It wasn't ALL the Broncos fault). Overall between the Harbaugh brothers competition, the CBS sports production, the halftime show and relationship between the 49ers and Ravens, SuperBowl 47 was definitely better than this crap!

I like both themes a lot for how different they are from each other.

Especially the Fox theme with the "da-da-duh/da-da-duh/da-da-da-da-duh" part.

I also loved the NBA on NBC theme, the original "MNF" theme and especially "Heavy Action".

Also on a side note, when you watch the Batman theme, do you always make an angry face at the same time Bats does? I do, And I still do.

Nothing beats NCAA on CBS (

). Glad I'm at a CBS affiliate and get to hear it a lot over the next few months out of Master Control...

Am I the only one who thinks the Trevor Rabin version of the NCAA theme for March Madness is vastly better than the one that's used on the regular-season CBS broadcasts? There's just something about the arrangement that feels so much more important/impactful than the cheesy one they use every Saturday.

Am I the only one who thinks the Trevor Rabin version of the NCAA theme for March Madness is vastly better than the one that's used on the regular-season CBS broadcasts? There's just something about the arrangement that feels so much more important/impactful than the cheesy one they use every Saturday.

No, you're not. Rabin breathed new life into the piece. CBS ought to use it during the regular season. If would fit their current look better.

On a somewhat unrelated note, I think CBS should commission a new NFL theme, perhaps from Rabin. Posthumus Zone has the intensity you expect from an NFL theme, but it lacks drive.

Archived