Defining 'Breaking News'

jbjimbo

Few phrases are as abused these days as "Breaking News," just like its sister "Developing Story." What I like, though, is how some stations are now merging the two. I want to say it was CNN or Headline News where I recently saw a banner for "Breaking Developments".

WCAU has for all intents and purposes stopped using it. They use for really big stories but not for stuff you'd go "meh" about. For those stories they use a simple graphic titled "Happening Now". A lot more subtle imo than a big cg intensive big boom "Breaking News" dealie.

This confused me at first, because I thought they were going to plug a company of some kind when you put "Ad" in there, but I got what you meant.....

I think the proper term would be "promotion" instead of an "ad" because an "ad" is really another entity, well, advertising their product. "Promotion" is promoting a show on the network. So this is more of a promotion, and not an ad.

Very true. I apologize for the confusion.

Jeez, a car chase is a joke to call breaking news, but this, this is nothing less than ABC saying "Watch our exclusive interview!"

The News Directors and Business Execs in L.A. adore car chases. Why? you ask, Money! So they can pay Paul Moyer and the rest millions of dollars! BTW Paul Moyer is the wealthiest local newsman in the country.

Jeez, a car chase is a joke to call breaking news, but this, this is nothing less than ABC saying "Watch our exclusive interview!"

The News Directors and Business Execs in L.A. adore car chases. Why? you ask, Money! So they can pay Paul Moyer and the rest millions of dollars! BTW Paul Moyer is the wealthiest local newsman in the country.

Plus, really, all you have to do is give commentary about the chase and one anchor can do that alone, so, in that respect, it means it costs less since less reports have to be made for each broadcast, or so I would theoretically think.

Calling it an "exclusive" makes much more sense.

I agree with all that the phrase "breaking news" is heavily overused. It's one thing to find out about something significant - notice I said significant - after it happens, but to continuously used that phrase well after it broke....it's tiring and redundant.

WHDH abuses it pretty regularly. Alot on 7, but it seems to get more ridiculous on the 56 10pm.

Many stations over use the slogan. HDH's sister station - SVN in Miami would not have a show if everything wasn't "Breaking News" (insert yawn).

Wanna be hard stations like WFTS in Tampa are using it more. Basically, it means whatever the hell the station management wants it to mean. To us, it means nothing.

In the Tampa area, cfif can vouch for this one, there are 2 or more hours devoted to news per channel (several with more). There just ain't that much news in the Bay area to support that number. So, breaking news just means "Hey!!! Here is a new story, you may have heard only once or twice in the last 30 mins."

btw, the same could probably be said about SVN. Some Miami folk can comment on that one.

To me, I always felt there's a time window as to when you can use the phrase, i.e. if it happened within the last two or so hours.

All four Norfolk stations have used the phrase, in what I feel out of context, but WTKR is the heaviest abuser. They'll call a story from 7 p.m. "Breaking" on their 11 p.m. show, and sometimes they'll immediately open the show with a Breaking News graphic. To me, it just looks tired and desperate. They use the phrase to the point of overkill, and I've even heard them refer to traffic jams as "Breaking Traffic News".

Archived