Stupid Promo

rkolsen

Sometimes the promotions manager at your station needs to read their script. To paraphrase Mindy Bassar who,is doing this voice over: "As a working mom raising kids here in Catonsville I know how Maryland mornings are like. It is always a rush to get the kids ready for school..."

My immediate response to this very sentence is you leave the house at 3 am and are on air from 4:30-8:00AM daily and aren't involved in getting the kidding kids readily for school. And seeing as she was in this job before child she never got to spend these rushed mornings.

If you think that is a stupid promo you should watch more local TV (not from your market). A lot of promos from a lot of different markets look and feel like that as I am sure they copied other promos they saw. I know that is all we do as we have never had an original idea at my station. I hear something similar to, "well (jnsert random call letters) did this and they loved it" a lot.

It is so bad, that one of our show opens even has another station's call sign and logo in it cause marketing did not remove it. It aired that way ALL basketball season even after five e-mails asking for it to be changed.

Another stupid promo, IMO:

WTMJ Milwaukee started running this promo a while back. Somehow, the fact that chief meteorologist John Malan served in the military makes him a better meteorologist? No, I don't follow either, but that's the claim.

Another stupid promo, IMO:

WTMJ Milwaukee started running this promo a while back. Somehow, the fact that chief meteorologist John Malan served in the military makes him a better meteorologist? No, I don't follow either, but that's the claim.

I don't disagree with doing a promo about his war history as he is a hero for serving our country but saying that means he is a better forecaster is a stretch.

Sometimes the promotions manager at your station needs to read their script. To paraphrase Mindy Bassar who,is doing this voice over: "As a working mom raising kids here in Catonsville I know how Maryland mornings are like. It is always a rush to get the kids ready for school..."

My immediate response to this very sentence is you leave the house at 3 am and are on air from 4:30-8:00AM daily and aren't involved in getting the kidding kids readily for school. And seeing as she was in this job before child she never got to spend these rushed mornings.

I saw a similar promo with Denise Dufala on WOIO stating that she watches Chief Meteorologist Jeff Tanchak when she heads out the door in the morning. I can tell you that makes no sense because Tanchak only comes on the evening and late news on 19 Action News when Dufaula is anchoring the news and they have Beth Macleod (or someone else, they can NEVER get anyone to stay a morning weatherman) in the mornings. Dumb, 19! DUMB!

This thing just pissed me off because this station, WBAL, normally airs better promotions and the head of their Creative Services Dept is the same. Here's an other one that goes about "I grew up in Baltimore so I lived breaking news." To which my reply is you must have been very unlucky as a child to be caught up in all those shootings, robberies, and fires. I think they are just trying to compete with WJZs community commitment promos where the hosts are around town hanging up and stalkers immediately talk them up.

Archived