MGM Launches Digi-Net The Works

jmkcool2002

From Broadcasting and Cable http://www.broadcastingcable.com/news/local-tv/exclusive-mgm-launches-digi-net-works/130865:

MGM is reentering the multicast space with a new offering called The Works.

The Works features primarily news product of both the local and national variety, according to an MGM insider, along with feature films from the MGM library, as well as sports and comedy.

The Works launched in recent weeks on stations owned or operated by Titan Broadcast Management in markets that include New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Philadelphia and Dallas-Ft Worth. The channel reaches 31% of U.S. households, according to the insider.

MGM would not comment publicly on the new venture. Titan did not return calls for comment at press time.

Titan sold four stations to Sinclair in 2013.

The digi-net space is booming, with the likes of movie channels This TV, which MGM cofounded and distributes, and Movies!, which is a partnership between Fox and Weigel; as well as vintage program nets such as Antenna TV and Me-TV fighting for carriage and for viewers.

I think a news-focused .2 channel by a major group, which could feature newscasts or stories from their stations around the country, would be an awesome idea. I don't know if it's practical or not.

I call BS on the "primarily news" aspect. It replaced the underwhelming "Soul of the South" network here on WTVE 51.2 in Philly but any time I've had it on it's been your basic Movies!/GetTV clone running old films. I'd love to actually see a schedule though, but apparently they have no online presence (yet). As rough as SOTS was with their airings of syndicated Byron Allen productions from the late 90's, at least they have a nightly newscast that aired through the evening.

And I agree tenfold with HulkieD on the great possibility of a .2 news net. With FOX bringing Detroit's Charlie LeDuff aboard to do national spots for all their local newscasts, they seem like the prime station group for a venture like that. It'd certainly help that they have that tidy standardized graphics package... :awesome:

I call BS on the "primarily news" aspect. It replaced the underwhelming "Soul of the South" network here on WTVE 51.2 in Philly but any time I've had it on it's been your basic Movies!/GetTV clone running old films. I'd love to actually see a schedule though, but apparently they have no online presence (yet). As rough as SOTS was with their airings of syndicated Byron Allen productions from the late 90's, at least they have a nightly newscast that aired through the evening.

And I agree tenfold with HulkieD on the great possibility of a .2 news net. With FOX bringing Detroit's Charlie LeDuff aboard to do national spots for all their local newscasts, they seem like the prime station group for a venture like that. It'd certainly help that they have that tidy standardized graphics package... :awesome:

Appointing LeDuff to do that is a HUGE risk. He is a terrible reporter and you could not base anything around him. The word Hack comes to mind. Also the statement "typical Fox", the guy is so unfair and biased I have considered finding him a doing an interview in his style and see how he handles it. His act will not work outside of WJBK which target a poorly educated inner city largely black population. I can't say whether other Fox O&O's have that bent.

• 8 months later...

Calling BS on the news portion was the correct assertion. The only news they air is Huffington Post Live Conversations from 12-2pm and 6-8pm which are compilations of the best HuffPo Live conversations from the previous day. The show has been on air since The Works TV's launch and was supposed to air on Mark Cuban's AXS TV. Hulu also recently began airing the same show.

Archived