WBNS Sends Strickler and Ludlow Packing

DirtyHarry

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Used to as of 2 months ago.

They must have really gone down in cost for them to invest in 29 of them. I thought they were quite expensive at first. Cheaper than an ENG truck, but it seemed like they were to expensive to have more than a few.

I am very surprised that WBNS hasn't jumped on that bandwagon, although I think WCMH also is getting their feet wet with LiveU. I saw them broadcasting live from a moving newscar during a storm so I assume that means they also have it.

I told you guys before, when they were covering the derechio last summer I was very impressed with their weather coverage. They were the only station that was able to broadcast from out in the storm because of those backpacks.

The backpacks do not necessarily equal better journalism. Actually, a lot of people have made fun of the MobileTrak.

Very good point!!!

TV is about visual things and making things interesting. If you can have live reports from a closed city hall at 11 pm, I don't see why Mobile Trak is such an awful thing. It's far more interesting than a live shot in front of a courthouse at 11 pm, 7 hours after everybody has gone home.

One advantage that the backpacks has is that they can be used when live trucks can't....like during a thunderstorm which renders a live truck unusable because of it being a massive lightning rod. Also, this allows for shots in motion.

On the other hand, the airtime is expensive and limited...I've heard reports of stations using up their "minutes" before the end of the billing cycle...

One advantage that the backpacks has is that they can be used when live trucks can't....like during a thunderstorm which renders a live truck unusable because of it being a massive lightning rod. Also, this allows for shots in motion.

On the other hand, the airtime is expensive and limited...I've heard reports of stations using up their "minutes" before the end of the billing cycle...

From what I've read, another advantage is that it is easier to do live remotes in HD. Although I am someone who appreciates a crisp looking picture, which so much stuff they use these days from You Tube and Skype I don't know that it matters anymore if you have a grainy picture from out in the field on occasion. It's seems to be a lot like MP3's where good enough is good enough so long as you have it wrapped with enough things that look good.

Archived