WVMH Stations rebrand?

jestbiteme

Anyone know what's up with the West Virginia Media Holdings stations new slogan, "Live and Local from Your Hometown?" It's a sight better than "Your Town, Your State, Your Future," I'll admit, but it just seems like it's out of nowhere. No new graphics accompanying the change, either.

So they still have Finale and Paul Turner?

Sadly, yes to Finale, and happily, yes to Turner.

[13WOWK is running some pretty schmaltzy promos with the new slogan, too; and it's replaced the old one on wowktv.com and wtrf.com while WBOY seems to be hanging on to the past... so I wonder.]

I sometimes travel through West Virginia and WOWK is a big yawn. Other than Jack Kane, they aren't that compelling to watch. It's pretty obvious why WSAZ dominates that part of the country.

WCHS, although owned by Sinclair, is still better than WOWK.

13News has been running promos with "Live and Local From Your Hometown" for the past few months, actually, even though "Your Town Your State Your Future" has been on the Web site graphics. They take a live production truck around the market about once a month and do part or all of the evening news on location. Once they were at the Huntington Mall; once they did the news from Laidley Field for the state high school football championships. They even have their own mini news desk during these excursions. When a live and local broadcast is on, they use a special graphical stinger and add a live and local graphic just above the lower third. This is what they mean by the new slogan: presence in the community. It's not meant that they are increasing their quantity of live shots for news stories, as it's still gotta be a big friggin' deal for 13 to do a live shot on a story.

Though everything else at 13 sucks, this campaign is actually pretty good. Even the graphic scheme around the new campaign is better than anything they have aired in the past 4 years. It's the same weird color scheme, yes, but they blend much better and the animation is much slicker. Now if only they would ask GO to tweak their in-newscast graphical mess. The remake to the the OTS a couple of years ago wasn't bad. And while they're at it, they need to redo their set and, for goodness sakes, get better music. WBOY's 6 p.m. bumper is the only cut of Finale I really like.

I wonder how WTRF is going to use the new slogan. (Not only WBOY but also WVNS have the old slogan still showing on their redesigned Web site banners.) Will they follow WOWK's lead and do the news live from various community events in the market? I would be drop dead if they did. So then...why did they adopt the new slogan again?

Archived