Channel 4 News HD - Coming Soon?

News4LA

Just FYI, last night I was a little annoyed with the Paris Hilton coverage last night (Thursday), so I emailed KNBC's news director last night about it and also asked when they were going HD.

This was his response this morning (was shocked to get a response so fast):

Thanks very much for your note. The NBC stations division shuffled the digital deck differently than some. The priority here was digital newsgathering and infrastructure. We’ve pretty well got that down and high definition has moved to the top of the priority pile. The first step will be broadcasting in digital 16X9, hopefully within the month. You’ll have an excellent picture and it will fill the screen. In the meantime, while we might not yet be the widest news in town I hope you will continue to consider us the deepest. We had not devoted much time to Ms. Hilton until the battle between her judge and the sheriff elevated the affair to a real story. No matter how improbable or distasteful it may seen, Ms. Hilton has now become the catalyst for debate over how our criminal justice system works. All I can do is promise you we won’t gush.

Best regards,

Bob Long

KNBC News Director

Cool. At least he responds to his viewers emails. At least he is committed to keeping in touch with the public. They may be losing in ratings but their connectivity with viewers is high. :)

They are pretty fast about responding. Last year they did a story about where to recycle old cell phones to be given to women at a domestic violence recovery center. They emailed me back within 1 hour.

So I guess that means Fox11 & MY13 will be last going HD. Anyone no when they will make the plunge?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Just a quick up date from a email I received today 8/28.

Thanks for the question. We hope to be in high definition by the end of the year. We opted to do a digital makeover first, which in the long run should pay off with higher production values. Our sister stations, KVEA/KWHY, will be rolling out high def over the next two months, and our more complex system will go on line right behind them.

Best regards,

Bob Long

News Director

Hopefully this means there will be a new set. Even in standard digital the current set looks like its falling apart. But I'm glad they are taking their time and doing it right. Very surprised about the step children -KVEA/KWHY.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived