WXYZ Getting Downtown Detroit Street-Side Studio

ns8401

WXYZ announced this morning they will open a studio in the Chase Building In Detroit this fall. 7 Action News At Noon as well as other WXYZ/WMYD programming will originate there. Operations remain at Broadcast House in Southfield.

More info and a few renders at the link:

www.wxyz.com/news/region/detroit/wxyz-tv-to-expand-with-new-studio-in-the-heart-of-downtown-detroit

So I guess they're copying their sister station in Indy who has a studio in Monument Circle.

Yep, this was put together by Dan Gilbert who owns Quicken Loans and has wanted a TV studio down there for 4 years. He has bought tons of buildings down there including the Chase Building. The comment was made that they are adding a total of 22 hours of news a week with their stuff on WMYD and The Now Detroit and all of the newscasts will originate from the studio at various points when the news warrants in addition to the noon news every weekday. It will also feature an outdoor platform. It should open in late November. It doesn't look like they will be able to do weather from it so full newscasts appear to be out of the question, which sucks.

Prior to the SSA with WKBN, WYTV used to have a streetside studio on Federal Plaza in Downtown Youngstown in addition to its rat trap on Shady Run Road. WYTV would have its morning news and a public affairs program live from the studios.

Prior to the SSA with WKBN, WYTV used to have a streetside studio on Federal Plaza in Downtown Youngstown in addition to its rat trap on Shady Run Road. WYTV would have its morning news and a public affairs program live from the studios.

Remember the 10 p.m. newscast on MyYTV, which I think originated from downtown? Then I'm pretty sure the 11 p.m. show was back in the main studio. I found it funny how they had to drive back and forth. Granted, they had 30 minutes to drive three miles, but you never know what could have happened!

Archived