KHOU technical meltdown?

WXmanTim

It's 6:02 and KHOU is running the 2nd (ET) feed of CBS Evening News instead of their local 6:00.

Wondering if they had a technical meltdown as the 6:00 was going to air.

Several months ago, they had meltdown about midway through the 4pm news. They ran about 3 minutes of commercials and then about 3 minutes of promos before coming back. When they did, there was no video for a couple minutes and the clock in the bug was about 10 hours off.

Yay automation bugs!

They never came back on at 6 last night. Instead, they went right into Wheel Of Fortune at 630 out of the 2nd feed of CBS EN.

Apparently they made a mention of "technical problems" during the 10 (per the Mcguff blog. A few readers wrote in to say they just went automated within that last week or two).

They never came back on at 6 last night. Instead, they went right into Wheel Of Fortune at 630 out of the 2nd feed of CBS EN.

Apparently they made a mention of "technical problems" during the 10 (per the Mcguff blog. A few readers wrote in to say they just went automated within that last week or two).

I thought I saw somewhere that KHOU was automated for a few years now, maybe I misread something?

Gannett's WFAA in Dallas had a similar meltdown back on September 2. They ran 23 minutes of the second feed of World News Tonight, then did weather and a tease for the 10:00 news.

Turned out the problem was an audio board that had to be rebooted. Apparently it takes 17 minutes to reboot.

Why can't Grass Valley, and others make this an open source solution? Meaning they make the operating system a locked-down distro of a Linux designed just for switching and routing video. This could make the automated products a little sexier if they push the app/app (appliance/application) method and bring that five-nine reliability back to broadcast equipment.

At least they had the CBS feed to go to.

I was in Chicago years ago when WMAQ's automation got stuck on the studio feed (big storm blew through - I was at Wrigley at the time, but recorded the whole thing). We got news, packages, and no commercials ("Non-stop News"), followed by really long credits, then about 5 minutes of NBC's current theme, then at 6:30, the automation kicked in and "Married with Children" started right up (though I never understood why an NBC O&O would carry MwC in access... Yes, it was set in Chicago, but really?).

J

Archived