Fox Selling off 9 stations

padrechuck

I read elsewhere it has something to do with Football the stations they are selling are in bad markets or the teams aren't doing well.

As for the duopolies that is a cash cow. It cost next to nothing to add on another station and combine costs.

As with channel swaps not likely to happen with the transition of digital TV anyway, UHF will be equal to VHF and everything is mapped to a virtual channel anyway so, the viewer won't know what the real channel is anyway.

I read elsewhere it has something to do with Football the stations they are selling are in bad markets or the teams aren't doing well.

Not likely true. No matter how badly the Packers do, Wisconsin people love their Packers, and will watch whatever they do... and Milwaukee is a secondary home market for the Packers. There's a reason they will sometimes LEAD the newscast with Packers news, even throughout the off-season.

Not likely true. No matter how badly the Packers do, Wisconsin people love their Packers, and will watch whatever they do... and Milwaukee is a secondary home market for the Packers. There's a reason they will sometimes LEAD the newscast with Packers news, even throughout the off-season.

Besides, a football team can win a Superbowl one year and be horrible the next (i.e. the Steelers). I really don't think that FOX just sells stations on a whim.

I am sure market size had more to do with this than how well the Packers are doing. :)

Does anyone know what is going to happen with FSN Wisconsin? I believe that they are being controlled by WITI right now and their offices are in the WITI building.

Besides, a football team can win a Superbowl one year and be horrible the next (i.e. the Steelers). I really don't think that FOX just sells stations on a whim.

I am sure market size had more to do with this than how well the Packers are doing. :)

Does anyone know what is going to happen with FSN Wisconsin? I believe that they are being controlled by WITI right now and their offices are in the WITI building.

While FSN Wisconsin might operate out of the WITI building, I don't think they're under the auspices of WITI. As best as I can tell, based on information available on the Internet, FSN Wisconsin is directly managed by Fox Sports Net, which is parallel to Fox Television Stations, the owners of WITI. Both Fox Sports Net and Fox Television Stations are operating divisions of FOX Entertainment Group. Essentially, that makes FSN Wisconsin and WITI cousins.

More than likely, FSN Wisconsin is treated as no more than a tenant in WITI's building, and that arrangement could maintain even after the sale of WITI. Now, in the unlikely instance that WITI changes affiliations, that arrangement could get somewhat awkward, but as I said, that's somewhat unlikely.

While FSN Wisconsin might operate out of the WITI building, I don't think they're under the auspices of WITI. As best as I can tell, based on information available on the Internet, FSN Wisconsin is directly managed by Fox Sports Net, which is parallel to Fox Television Stations, the owners of WITI. Both Fox Sports Net and Fox Television Stations are operating divisions of FOX Entertainment Group. Essentially, that makes FSN Wisconsin and WITI cousins.

More than likely, FSN Wisconsin is treated as no more than a tenant in WITI's building, and that arrangement could maintain even after the sale of WITI. Now, in the unlikely instance that WITI changes affiliations, that arrangement could get somewhat awkward, but as I said, that's somewhat unlikely.

From what I know for both Miller Park and the Bradley Center, FSN Wisconsin beams their signal back to WITI's tower, then to the station, where it is uplinked to cable providers. Same goes for the Weigel stations that broadcast Brewers games, allowing WDJT to have a live sports report from Miller Park without a live truck.

Looks like Liberty Media will get those 9 stations

http://svartifoss2.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/ws.exe/prod/cdbs/pubacc/prod/app_det.pl?Application_id=1169361 that is the FCC'sm ownership page for WBRC. When you click the "Application" button it shows the application filled out by Liberty Media and it lists all of the stations.

Looks like Liberty Media will get those 9 stations

http://svartifoss2.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/ws.exe/prod/cdbs/pubacc/prod/app_det.pl?Application_id=1169361 that is the FCC'sm ownership page for WBRC. When you click the "Application" button it shows the application filled out by Liberty Media and it lists all of the stations.

The date on that application is also 1/29/2007. I don't know what that means, if anything... that was right around the same time that Liberty Media was fighting with FOX for control of DirecTV.

Archived