Fox Selling off 9 stations

padrechuck

News Corp. plans to sell nine of its Fox-affiliated TV stations

The company announced Wednesday it has hired Allen & Co. to advise it on potential transactions, which would leave News Corp. with 26 stations, including nine major-market duopolies.

A News Corp. spokesman said the company was just “lightening up” its roster by selling off stations it considers good but not critical to its performance.

The stations on the block are WJW-TV8 in Cleveland; KDVR-TV31 in Denver; KTVI-TV2 in St. Louis, Mo.; WDAF-TV4 in Kansas City, Kan.; WITI-TV6 in Milwaukee, Wis.; KSTU-TV13 in Salt Lake City; WBRC-TV6 in Birmingham, Ala.; WHBQ-TV13 in Memphis, Tenn.; and WGHP-TV8 in Greensboro, N.C.

http://tvweek.com/news/2007/06/news_corp_selling_off_9_fox_af.php

WHAT?! KTVI? WBRC? WJW? WHBQ? WDAF? Wow. Why? Lightining up to preformance? WDAF has one of the highest ratings in Kansas City, WHBQ is becomeing a contender, so is KTVI. WBRC is one of Alabamas most dominate stations. This is crazy.

After May's book, I had a feeling that NewsCorp was possibly going to get rid of some stations, especially WHBQ. Channel 13 just hasn't been doing well. Plus, for an O&O, their budget didn't seem as such. For example, when I interned at WMC, we used digital trucks for remotes that were within 5 miles of the station; channel 13 has to use a microwave truck for ANY remote, from 1 to 40 miles away (and BTW, they have no sat truck). Also, as an O&O, I find it odd that they don't have a helicopter. And their OTA HD signal is the weakest and shortest traveling in Memphis; if you 1. live more than a mile from the station, or 2. don't have cable or satellite, then you cannot watch Fox programming in HD.

I find this list strange, though, because all these stations have aleady been O&O-ized, therefore is the "O&O look" going to be extended to non-NewsCorp owned stations?

Actually, the only ones with the O&O stuff are WHBQ, KTVI, and WDAF. But, things could happen, I've seen non O&O's with the music, and Fox Toledo and this other one have portions of the O&O look in their graphics (well, Fox Toledo doesn't have the L3's for example, their L3's are UGLY!)

Actually, the only ones with the O&O stuff are WHBQ, KTVI, and WDAF. But, things could happen, I've seen non O&O's with the music, and Fox Toledo and this other one have portions of the O&O look in their graphics (well, Fox Toledo doesn't have the L3's for example, their L3's are UGLY!)

Also WJW get the O&O look soon, They are on a temporary set right now. Also I wonder why FOX is not selling KTBC? These are good stations and I wonder who FOX is going to sell it to. But these are potential transactions, there is a small chance that the sell might not happen. Remember all those selling rumors last year.

Not surprised by this, although I wouldn't have expected them to be giving up KTVI, WDAF, and WJW. And I'm wondering how KTBC got left off of this list? The rumors were just becoming too numerous and with all the other companies and networks selling off, it really seemed inevitable. I wouldn't be shocked at all to see another private equity group sweep these stations up.

After May's book, I had a feeling that NewsCorp was possibly going to get rid of some stations, especially WHBQ. Channel 13 just hasn't been doing well. Plus, for an O&O, their budget didn't seem as such. For example, when I interned at WMC, we used digital trucks for remotes that were within 5 miles of the station; channel 13 has to use a microwave truck for ANY remote, from 1 to 40 miles away (and BTW, they have no sat truck). Also, as an O&O, I find it odd that they don't have a helicopter. And their OTA HD signal is the weakest and shortest traveling in Memphis; if you 1. live more than a mile from the station, or 2. don't have cable or satellite, then you cannot watch Fox programming in HD.

I find this list strange, though, because all these stations have aleady been O&O-ized, therefore is the "O&O look" going to be extended to non-NewsCorp owned stations?

I thought 13 had a sat truck, and WMC was the only one in the market without one? Maybe that has changed recently. Also, I get their HD signal out here in Eastern Shelby County, a good distance from the transmitter - in fact, sometimes its the strongest one I get, though lately they have had some problems and had to cut back on their power a bit. As far as the helicopter, Fox never did buy choppers for their lower market O&Os, WBRC never has had one either (I think that's the largest Fox O&O without one, meaning 13 is number 2).

so which private equity firm is going to buy these stations?

Yeah, what's with all the equity firms gobbling up stations? I kind of hate it, because not much changes when the equity firms buy the stations. I'd like to see some real broadcasting companies get these stations.

Not so with Oak Hill Capital/Local TV... as soon as the NYT sale went through, a whole bunch of people were shown the door.

I should mention that WJW does have the Fox o&o website and they've just started on building the new set, because they've been using the morning portion of the studio for all newscasts, and on her morning show, "That's Life", Robin Swaboda mentioned that they're "cramped in the corner" because the "news department" is building a new set.

That might explain why WITI hasn't gone with the O&O package.

Agreed.

WITI has been the absolute least O&O-like O&O station I've ever seen. It's almost like FOX bought 'em... then basically abandoned the station to the local managers. There's hints of FOX here and there, such as using the O&O music package and "the most powerful name in local news" tag (which I will NOT miss in the least).

To coin a phrase, "they coulda been a contender..." but somewhere along the way, WITI just seemed to give up and be satisfied with being merely adequate. They've never really made a run at WISN/WTMJ, and instead concentrated on quantity of "news" over quality, and enjoyed the ratings that accompanied the timeslots where they have the only local news.

I for one welcome this news... it'll be the first real major shakeups that WITI has had in a while.

so which private equity firm is going to buy these stations?

At this rate, they're going to own everything in 5 years.

As for WJW, would CBS ever go back to them?...they must really be fed up with WOIO by now.

I was wondering the same with ABC going back to KTVI - ABC must be at wits end with Sincrap and KDNL by now (but at least the hdtv signal is finally retransmited - hopefully Belo and Charter will make nice again soon - nah, Belo claims Charter does not want to negotiate).

Jesus Christ, you people are incredibly crazy with your zany affiliation swap fantasies.

The chances of any affiliation swap is slim to none, IMO. As long as ABC can make $$ of off KDNL, I don't really think they care.

I don't think ABC is fed up with KDNL, and I don't think CBS is fed up with WOIO. Like I said, as long as the networks are making money, they probably don't really care.

Unfortunately, KDNL isn't making the money it could. ABC is pleased that KDNL passes a 720p HD feed, and now that it is on Charter cable lineup, that's helped. However, since this is the second contract with ABC that doesn't have local news clause, the station has lost viewers steadily since 2001.

I find the choices of stations up for sale to be a bit peculiar. The WOGX and WOFL seem more like sellable properties. KSTU in Salt Lake. WJBK in Detroit. WDAF is a growing market, KTVI is a stable market, WITI is a stable market.

If News Corp is hurtinng for cash, ditch MyNetworkTV, drop a few Duopolies (KCOP/WWOR/WPWR), put MySpace back on the auctionblock, and focus on core TV and Print assets. Selling DirecTV last year was step in the right direction.

If News Corp is hurtinng for cash, ditch MyNetworkTV, drop a few Duopolies (KCOP/WWOR/WPWR), put MySpace back on the auctionblock, and focus on core TV and Print assets. Selling DirecTV last year was step in the right direction.

This makes sense, particularly dropping MNTV.

Isn't MNTV paying affiliates to carry its shows? That has to be a money drain right now.

What they need to do is just fold the network completely. It's basically just filler programming, and it would be nice to see some independent stations again.

thank you! That's what i'd like to see for KDFI. They were a great station before all this MY TV crap(and that's what it truly is, too)

Archived