Biggest name/personality in new york news that can dictate ratings

brianpr3

I am a NY Native and always watched NY News i am a loyalist to Channel 7 wabc and asked my dad about old school TV news in NYC asked about Roger Grimsby, he heard of him and i asked him was it true that after channel 7 fired Roger in a final $$$$ you to him they brought the building across the street from the studios and closed the bars that were there he said yeah i think so and channel 7 overcame the Grimbsy firing to maintain its venerable # 1 status as we know.

I also asked my dad if he heard of Jim Jensen he said yes and when they fired him was he the single handed reason that channel 2 went from a 2nd place station battling channel 7 to tanking into last place ratings in the late 90's?

it got me thinking now a days which "big name/personality" in each of the stations 2/10 4 5 7 and 11 that if they fired their ratings would single handily tank?

Back in the day, it seemed like Roz Abrams had a huge following, but she had no effect on the ratings when CBS 2 hired her away from ABC 7. She was a very expensive dud.

And I'm not sure NBC 4 declined much after Sue Simmons left.

I think these examples pretty much show that no one anchor is as much of a draw as people would like to think.

Though Greg and Rosanna as a team could be something.

Back in the day, it seemed like Roz Abrams had a huge following, but she had no effect on the ratings when CBS 2 hired her away from ABC 7. She was a very expensive dud.

And I'm not sure NBC 4 declined much after Sue Simmons left.

I think these examples pretty much show that no one anchor is as much of a draw as people would like to think.

Though Greg and Rosanna as a team could be something.

Yeah when Dave Price replaced Greg ratings dropped dramatically, and even PIX was beating them at one point, when they were using Lionel at the time! Just goes to show you how much of a following they have and how popular they are together.

I think a better way to look at this would be to consider if viewers would follow an anchor if they were to go to the same timeslot on another station- in a few cases, I would say yes- If Chuck Scarborough were to go to 11pm on ABC7, I do think there would be a significant viewer switch... Same would go for Bill Ritter in my opinion- and of course as previously mentioned, Greg & Rosanna.

So there is no news personality today that would dictate ratings ala Jim Jensen?

Also what i said earlier Is it really true that in a final #$%& you to Roger Grimsby that ABC brought the building across the street from the Studio and evicted the bars that were there?

I think there's definitely more focus on the brand these days than any one individual. This is true even at the network level, and it's partially why GMA continued to succeed in the long-term absence of Robin and in the wake of the departures of both Sam and Josh.

In the NYC market, this seems to be why we almost never see cross-station anchor hiring (a la Roz Abrams). It's expensive and doesn't seem to pull too many viewers.

I would have to agree with what several people have said, I think that Fox 5 is the closest to having this with Rosanna and Greg. Look at what happened when they tried to put Dave Price in place of Greg...

They are the closest "team" that you would have to this, In my opinion

I would have to agree with what several people have said, I think that Fox 5 is the closest to having this with Rosanna and Greg. Look at what happened when they tried to put Dave Price in place of Greg...

They are the closest "team" that you would have to this, In my opinion

Archived