WFXR/WWCW (Fox 21/27 Roanoke) Starting News Operation

Ntropolis

Nexstar has plans to end the Roanoke/Lynchburg Fox affiliate's 19-year-old news partnership with WSLS to start its own news operation, including a move to a 14,000 sq. ft. facility.

Read more from The Roanoke Times: http://www.roanoke.com/business/news/roanoke/roanoke-s-fox-plans-big-changes/article_11c613d7-ee5e-5e30-8466-2fb0a18f5c23.html

Nexstar has plans to end the Roanoke/Lynchburg Fox affiliate's 19-year-old news partnership with WSLS to start its own news operation, including a move to a 14,000 sq. ft. facility.

Read more from The Roanoke Times: http://www.roanoke.com/business/news/roanoke/roanoke-s-fox-plans-big-changes/article_11c613d7-ee5e-5e30-8466-2fb0a18f5c23.html

Let the new name for news begin... either "FOX 21/27 News" or "Local 21/27 News" to follow the Nexstar mandate. I say "Local 21/27 News" will be the new name.

• 6 months later...
Big bump because TVNewsCheck stated within the hour that Nexstar has completed the move of WFXR to the brand new facility. And it will be airing in-house newscasts beginning October 1st.

At the start, the morning newscast will expand from two hours to four (from 5:00 to 9:00 a.m., it currently begins at 7:00) and its 10:00 p.m. newscast will go from 30 minutes to an hour once WFXR takes over production of the newscasts; syndicated programming will apparently fill the midday and early evening time periods on the station for now (at least its carrying more than what WFFT is doing now, but still, it's carrying fewer newscasts than what WTVW and KBTV were running when they were owned by Nexstar outright, and when the former of those two was still with Fox).

Also, the newscasts will be titled WFXR News (omitting the "Local" brand, unless they're going to be branding as "WFXR Local" for non-news purposes), so unless any of the others have dropped theirs, its a safe bet that WFXR will be the first former Grant II station to ditch the former company's signature numerical logos.

• 1 month later...
I'm not sure if anyone has posted these, but I see they're not here.

I don't think I've ever seen these graphics before. I like them a lot.

Extreme is the same theme that KOVR used in 2005 the same year CBS Acquired it to become an O&O. just the Intro part. in fact ive also heard Verizon Fios 1 News use it also in New Jersey.

I'm not sure if anyone has posted these, but I see they're not here.

I don't think I've ever seen these graphics before. I like them a lot.

The weather graphics look similar to Look G. The entire package looks like a cross between Look G and Scripps V2.

As much crap we give about Nexstar (though in most cases, there is justification), one thing you can't really fault them on is their taste in news graphics in recent years.

And apparently many of their apps are rated 4 stars out of 5 (except certain ones like KLAS's app). I'm not sure why though.

And you're right about their recent graphics, they're decent for their markets (most of them, except KMID)

As much crap we give about Nexstar (though in most cases, there is justification), one thing you can't really fault them on is their taste in news graphics in recent years.

Agreed! That's Blake Russell at Nexstar doing this. He works to make a penny stretch as far as he can. And he does.

And apparently many of their apps are rated 4 stars out of 5 (except certain ones like KLAS's app). I'm not sure why though.

And you're right about their recent graphics, they're decent for their markets (most of them, except KMID)

Now, that being said, incorrect on their ratings. They have horrible Apps and Video.

Archived