Lin Sue Cooney to leave KPNX

Samantha

Well this is not anything I expected to be hearing.

Lin Sue Cooney, who has been with KPNX for 30 years, is leaving to join the executive team at Hospice of the Valley. It was announced today, and it's no joke.

As you might expect, she remains through May sweeps.

...Oh yeah, and it's worth noting, why announce this on April Fools? At my high school they decided April 1 was the perfect day to inform the entire school community that the vice principal was resigning. We all thought it was a joke. It wasn't.

Lin Sue Cooney, who has been with KPNX for 30 years, is leaving to join the executive team at Hospice of the Valley. It was announced today, and it's no joke.

...Oh yeah, and it's worth noting, why announce this on April Fools? At my high school they decided April 1 was the perfect day to inform the entire school community that the vice principal was resigning. We all thought it was a joke. It wasn't.

Even I couldn't believe this news. Lin was one of the best in the state and was considered one of the tops there with big names. Really sad that she's leaving after 30 years. We are all gonna miss her on KPNX.

Holy crap, I really thought this was April Fool's. This is very unexpected indeed, although she will be a welcome addition to Hospice of the Valley. Who could replace her at KPNX?

Holy crap, I really thought this was April Fool's. This is very unexpected indeed, although she will be a welcome addition to Hospice of the Valley. Who could replace her at KPNX?

It really is an end of an era at KPNX, as for who will succeed her, my money is on Fay Fredricks.

Considering that Gannett just completed the acquisition of Belo (and the selling of some properties to satisfy the judge) they are probably looking at ongoing expenses and trying to reduce them. How many other long term personalities will be asked to negotiate for a lower paying contract and also find themselves leaving for greener pastures?

One would also wonder if Lin Sue would have continued to receive new contracts if she was not married to the son of the former President and General Manager of KPNX.

• 1 month later...

So she got an hour-long on air special today. Counting the "Arizona's News Station" promos and other old stuff. And also marveling at how she can't even remember the call letters of her first job in TV. Not KDFM, KFDM.

They brought back Kent Dana and Jineane Ford to wish her goodbye in the A-block, and Mary Kim Titla, Kim Covington. They had a couple of pre-taped thank yous from talent now at other stations (Sean McLaughlin and Kari Lake, both channel 12 alums). With KPNX's competitors' logos large and massive. Sean McLaughlin do a pre-taped "thank you" from the KPHO set (man, does it look awkward seeing channel 5's logo nice and huge on their biggest competitor). Former interns/others at KPNX, including Anna Laurel (WTVD) and Rebecca Lopez (WFAA) also made brief appearances. 40 minutes in they brought former longtime reporter Lew Ruggiero from the Parsons Center, a health facility that renovated KPNX's old Central Avenue building.

Wow, can KPNX be schmaltzy and fluffy. I can't believe it sometimes.

Archived