KGTV-10 and XETV-6 L3 Traffic Ticker Busted Bigtime

Eat News

Greetings from California and thanks for letting me join Tv NewsTalk.net

KGTV-10 and XETV-6 both run tickers in the morning shows. XETV runs one during all shows.

Both tickers have news,wx ,stocks and traffic.

Sounds pretty normal right?

Except both stations traffic tickers have been repeating the same traffic conditions for...

drumroll please......

More than 3 years! (not a typo)

The XETV ticker was showing that it was taking "4hours and 7 minutes" to travel from the International Border to Camino Capistrano on NB and SB I-5(about 80 miles) with speeds at 30mph."

Everyday...for over 3 years (and counting).

Even when the 5 freeway was completly shut down!

When it was pointed out to the news dept that the ticker was busted...they just lopped off the offending portion. The entire rest of the traffic portion remained the same. All the speeds are the same...all the times are the same....day in and day out.

Next we have the KGTV-10 traffic ticker.

Everything updated just fine....except the traffic. same speeds., same conditions same every day.

"Highway 67 between San Vicente and Wildcat Canyon RD:50mph 11 minutes".

Last week there was a multi fatal axe that shutdown Highway 67 for over 7 hours....but traffic was still humming right along through the hard closure.

Multiple e-mails, phone calls and all the say is "we will check on it".

You could blame it as the fault of the traffic provider(sig-alert.com and traffic pulse.com) but that excuse won't fly to those in the biz.

Or they could both just admit that nobody at both stations knows how to fix it, and eleminate that portion of the ticker until fixed.

Maybe i'm becoming OCD?

But both of those tickers are sponsored by Jeep,America's Fine Carpet, etc... so money is involved.

If I was the GM, or the VP of sales at KGTV or XETV I would be so mad that I would start pulling old newscast air-checks, to see exactly when it started....and pray to God that the sponsors didn't find out....

That's a whole lots of "makegoods".

That's interesting. We manually enter our ticker information (VIZ ticker client).

When KSHB (Scripps) started The Now, the weather bug showed the same weather conditions for several weeks. I never look at their ticker... maybe I should.

• 4 weeks later...

Greetings from California and thanks for letting me join Tv NewsTalk.net

KGTV-10 and XETV-6 both run tickers in the morning shows. XETV runs one during all shows.

Both tickers have news,wx ,stocks and traffic.

Sounds pretty normal right?

Except both stations traffic tickers have been repeating the same traffic conditions for...

drumroll please......

More than 3 years! (not a typo)

The XETV ticker was showing that it was taking "4hours and 7 minutes" to travel from the International Border to Camino Capistrano on NB and SB I-5(about 80 miles) with speeds at 30mph."

Everyday...for over 3 years (and counting).

Even when the 5 freeway was completly shut down!

When it was pointed out to the news dept that the ticker was busted...they just lopped off the offending portion. The entire rest of the traffic portion remained the same. All the speeds are the same...all the times are the same....day in and day out.

Next we have the KGTV-10 traffic ticker.

Everything updated just fine....except the traffic. same speeds., same conditions same every day.

"Highway 67 between San Vicente and Wildcat Canyon RD:50mph 11 minutes".

Last week there was a multi fatal axe that shutdown Highway 67 for over 7 hours....but traffic was still humming right along through the hard closure.

Multiple e-mails, phone calls and all the say is "we will check on it".

You could blame it as the fault of the traffic provider(sig-alert.com and traffic pulse.com) but that excuse won't fly to those in the biz.

Or they could both just admit that nobody at both stations knows how to fix it, and eleminate that portion of the ticker until fixed.

Maybe i'm becoming OCD?

But both of those tickers are sponsored by Jeep,America's Fine Carpet, etc... so money is involved.

If I was the GM, or the VP of sales at KGTV or XETV I would be so mad that I would start pulling old newscast air-checks, to see exactly when it started....and pray to God that the sponsors didn't find out....

That's a whole lots of "makegoods".

Update June 3 2015

KGTV has fixed the traffic ticker.......

NOT!

Now the KGTV traffic ticker is showing the same info that the XETV Traffic ticker shows. XETV has been broken for 3 years also.

And it still ALL WRONG....it's still the same information it says it takes 4 hours and 7 Mins to drive from San Diego to Orange County.

Welcome to the real Groundhog Day.

Archived