This is Interesting. Shep visits WFLD

Dustin

from: http://www.suntimes.com/business/feder/437303,CST-FIN-feder21.article

When Shepard Smith showed up recently at WFLD-Channel 32, it wasn't to make a social call.

The flashy anchor for Fox News Channel came to critique the Fox-owned station's local news operation -- with emphasis on its new 10 p.m. newscast.

With what one insider called "brutal honesty," Smith delivered a scathing assessment of the newscast to the two dozen or so news anchors, producers and managers who met with him for lunch in a conference room.

Not surprisingly, his tips for improving the show included adding more music, bigger graphics and a faster pace -- in other words, making it more like his own newscasts.

"I'm not here to talk to you about journalism," one witness recalled him saying. "I'm here to talk to you about good TV."

The reason for Smith's turn as unofficial news consultant was unclear to many in the room.

Some assumed he was there as an emissary of the diabolical Joel Cheatwood, who recently signed on at Fox News Channel as vice president of development. The two, who are cut from the same cloth, first worked together at WSVN-TV in Miami.

A spokesman for Fox News Channel said Chicago was the only local news operation Smith had visited. He offered few details except to say that Smith "went out there to chat with the talent and producers."

Mr. Smith doesn't get the FACT that most people/viewers here in Chicago really don't care for flashy graphics, sets, fast-paced newscasts, etc... Stuff like that has NEVER worked here and may never will. People need to get out of the mind set that what may work in one market, will work in every market.

'The TEN' is just fine as it is (however, I would have picked different anchors) and adding bigger graphics and more noise to it will do more harm than good. That would also apply to the other newscasts as well. He should just stay in NYC because he has no clue how things work here in Chicago.

Mr. Smith doesn't get the FACT that most people/viewers here in Chicago really don't care for flashy graphics, sets, fast-paced newscasts, etc... Stuff like that has NEVER worked here and may never will. People need to get out of the mind set that what may work in one market, will work in every market.

'The TEN' is just fine as it is (however, I would have picked different anchors) and adding bigger graphics and more noise to it will do more harm than good. That would also apply to the other newscasts as well. He should just stay in NYC because he has no clue how things work here in Chicago.

I'm wondering, how is FOX doing in Chicago anyway?

I don't have numbers to give, but I believe WFLD is behind WGN in the mornings, noon and at 9. Don't hold me to that, but I think that is the case. However, in certain key demos, I believe their numbers are pretty good.

With all the changes they have made (two new morning anchors, new reporters, an additional newscast (The TEN), etc..) all within the past couple of months, it may be too soon judge how they're doing overall.

Sidenote: This week is Robin Robinson's 20th anniversary at Fox Chicago/WFLD and sometime this summer will be Byron Harlan and Nancy Pender 10th anniversary working weekends together.

Sidenote: This week is Robin Robinson's 20th anniversary at Fox Chicago/WFLD and sometime this summer will be Byron Harlan and Nancy Pender 10th anniversary working weekends together.

You can see a couple photos of the WFLD studios from 20 years ago at: http://www.yciarch.com/projects/bc/wfld.shtml

It's amazing how FOX News Chicago went from that to what it is today. Notice in the picture of the main news set, the "newsroom" is actually behind the cameras.

Archived