WCVB Boston adds newscasts

johnothy

Heart Television's WCVB in Boston is adding newscasts at 4:30pm and 7:00pm in January. Ellen moves to 3pm with Inside Edition at 4pm. Meredith Vieira's talk show moves to 1:05am. No word on whether sister station WMUR (which has pretty much an identical program schedule) will add newscasts as well.

Here's the link to the article:

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/89448/wcvb-adding-two-weeknight-newscasts

No word on whether sister station WMUR (which has pretty much an identical program schedule) will add newscasts as well.

How high is the cable penetration rate in Boston? This could be a way of tacking on a newscasts while at the same time allowing the show to be seen to most viewers.

How high is the cable penetration rate in Boston? This could be a way of tacking on a newscasts while at the same time allowing the show to be seen to most viewers.

Which show?

Cable penetration is quite high in the northeast. WMUR, however, is not heavily carried in Massachusetts other than on FiOS and satellite.

The ratings for Viera's show is not that spectacular, which is probably the reason for the downgrade.

In fact, NBCU executives are looking for a new show to replace hers and I can tell you this, I predict her final season is this year, just like how I think this will be the final season for The FAB Life, since that's shows ratings are a complete disaster. I only saw The FAB Life once... the series premiere. I haven't watched it since and I don't plan on doing so.

Let them replace those shows with more local newscasts!

Have any stations downgraded The FABLife to overnights, or dropped the show altogether?

No, not yet, surprisingly. So far, its only been Meredith downgrading to overnights. According to this article...

"The new ratings are beyond catastrophic' date='" said one inside after [i']FABLife[/i] debuted in September as the No. 1 new syndicated talk show with a 1.0 rating, but sank in subsequent weeks to a 0.7. It's now being beaten by a much less glamorous daytime competitor, Crime Watch Daily.

"The show’s a ratings disaster," said another source, "specifically with [adults 25 to 54]. By comparison, Bethenny’s delivery of the [25 to 54 demographic] was 29 percent higher than FABLife at the time of its cancellation" last year.

“ABC’s already looking for a replacement [for FABLife],” said a third source, who added that new producers are being hired to inject fabulousness. “It’s not going to survive with a 0.7 [rating].”

The only positives, also according to the article, is that its doing well with women and has the youngest demo among syndicated shows and performing well in NYC (WABC 7) and Chicago (WLS 7). But ouch! Just like Meredith, The FAB Life won't stick around.

I think TV has reached peak "panel discussion" format saturation. "The View," "The Talk," "The Chew," "The Real," "The FabLife" (which is really just a Tyra Banks-driven rehash of "The Revolution" from a couple seasons ago).

There's only so many "hot topics" that can be discussed to death on a given day.

They really should look into carrying game shows again- they should look into some Reg Grundy shows, like Sale of the Century (the real thing, not the bastard stepchild Temptation from MyNetTV a few years back), Scrabble, even Hot Streak- hopefully they can get Bruce Forsyth back for that one.

I think TV has reached peak "panel discussion" format saturation. "The View," "The Talk," "The Chew," "The Real," "The FabLife" (which is really just a Tyra Banks-driven rehash of "The Revolution" from a couple seasons ago).

There's only so many "hot topics" that can be discussed to death on a given day.

You can add Meredith to that lineup. Half of that show composes of a "panel discussion" format through its What's Hot NOW! segment. Meredith, Lilliana Vasquez, Lance Bass, Megan Colarossi and Yamaneika Saunders are the contributors and the segment is literary a half-hour long at the beginning of the show.

In fact, NBCU executives are looking for a new show to replace hers and I can tell you this, I predict her final season is this year, just like how I think this will be the final season for The FAB Life, since that's shows ratings are a complete disaster. I only saw The FAB Life once... the series premiere. I haven't watched it since and I don't plan on doing so.

This isn't back in the past where Dr. Laura or Keith Ablow were pretty much ratings kryptonite and could be shoved quickly to late night. There are involved contracts and station groups now where a show must air in a certain timeslot for a period of time before it can be pulled (Dr Oz. is pretty much headed to CW/My stations after this contract run ends but still pulls late-night replays in several markets thanks to contract language); usually it's January but even last year, Queen Latifah remained on in the same slot in several markets until September, even though no new episodes were produced after February, because the choice there was either infomercials or a Byron Allen barter show to fill the slot.

FABLife at least is guaranteed for a last-ditch retooling, but Meredith pretty much has known it's running out the string since last year.

Archived