ION Television coming to KWQC 6.2 Davenport; other MG stations next?

mvcg66b3r

From Northpine:

Media General's KWQC-TV (Davenport) says it'll begin carrying Ion TV on channel 6.2 on Nov. 1, displacing a local weather channel. The station is a primary NBC affiliate and also carries Cozi TV on channel 6.3. KWQC appears to be only the second station nationwide to carry Ion on a subchannel, and one of only a few Ion affiliates that isn't owned and operated by the network. Ion carries reruns of recent network shows.

Northpine had a link to an article on KWQC's site, but it led to a 404 error page. A similar article I found just said that 6.2 was changing its format "to offer our viewers more entertainment options."

RabbitEars is saying that ION is also coming to Mobile AL via another MG station, WKRG 5.2. Do you think MG struck a deal with ION to put the network on subchannels of MG stations in markets without an ION station?

Off-topic to ION and KWQC but related to 24-hour local weather subchannels, WEAU 13 has moved Antenna TV from 13.3 to 13.2, effectively discontinuing their 24-hour weather channel which was an affiliate of The Local AccuWeather Channel. WEAU 13 also added H&I on 13.3 and Movies! on 13.4.

Just as I thought, more Media General stations are getting ION. From unclehonkey on the AVS Forum:

WLFI Lafayette is getting Ion television (per rabbitears)

It will be on 18-3 in 480i widescreen

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/45-local-hdtv-info-reception/186022-indianapolis-terre-haute-lafayette-hdtv-241.html#post38536057

Also WRIC Richmond and WANE Fort Wayne.

http://www.rabbitears.info/updates.php?source=A

It's about time ION realized this as a way to fill in their coverage gaps. Now with the auction coming up, will they consider selling spectrum in certain markets and instead opt for subchannels on other stations in any given market? There's not a whole lot to an ION station, as it has always been a turnkey operation with little local presence.

Let's review (according to RabbitEars)...

1. WLFI 18.3 (CBS) in Lafayette, IN is getting ION soon.
  2. KBLR 39.3 (Telemundo) in Las Vegas already carries ION.
  3. KNSO 51.3 (Telemundo) in Fresno also already carries ION.
  4. Surprise: WRIC 8.2 (ABC) in Richmond has started carrying ION.
  5. WKRG 5.2 (CBS) in Mobile has started carrying or will soon carry ION. (somebody in these forums mentioned it, but some listings still carry the 24-hour weather channel while Zap2it showcases ION on WKRG-DT2)
  6. KHRR 40.3 (Telemundo) in Tucson has it.
  7. KXRM 21.3 (FOX) in Colorado Springs will soon carrying ION.
  8. KSNW 3.3 (NBC) in Wichita is also getting ION soon.
  9. Another surprise: WANE 15.3 (CBS) in Ft. Wayne has started carrying ION, replacing the 24-hour weather channel and not Antenna TV on 15.2 (even though LocateTV and possibly Zap2it don't showcase that yet)
  10. KWQC 6.2 (NBC) in the Quad Cities now carries ION and has mentioned it publicly to replace their 24-hour weather channel.
  11. Yet another surprise: WJBF 6.3 (ABC) in Augusta has started to carry ION.

Again, this is according to RabbitEars and I only mentioned the major BIG 4 stations that started or will carry ION and not the stations that are O&O by ION Media Networks or ION affiliates owned by other companies, because I didn't want this post to be waaaay too long. I just wanted to mention stations that we news junkies already recognize.

As of this posting, WKRG 5.2 is carrying ION but Comcast is not carrying the 5.2 feed on its existing channel. (it has been replaced by a message that the "programming previously seen on this channel is no longer being provided by the station")

Comcast still has the national ION feed on the Mobile system. Could this be an issue for other markets that's tied up in retransmission consent agreements?

Comcast still has the national ION feed on the Mobile system.

It's on channel 83, in Expanded Basic I believe. Many cable systems in markets without an ION station carry ION's national feed in the Expanded Basic tier, rather than Limited Basic.

From WHNB on the AVS Forum:

ION NOW ON CHANNEL 22-3

When I turned on my TV this evening, the tuner had automatically found a new service and added it to the line-up. The new channel is 22-3 from Springfield's WWLP. It is carrying ION, which long ago was called PAX. This is the network that is carried in New London on WHPX. So WWLP now has NBC on its primary channel, CW on its secondary channel, and ION on its third sub-channel.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/45-local-hdtv-info-reception/315169-hartford-ct-ota-241.html#post38696145

• 3 weeks later...

Comcast in Mobile, AL is STILL not running 5.2's feed on their old channel slot (185). The national ION feed is still on channel 83. This is even after the guide on X1 has been updated with the ion logo AND programming info! :mad:

This is bizarre since 5.2 on 185 previously existed in it's original form as a weather subchannel.

Not to drift off topic, but I wish MeTV and Antenna TV would offer themselves on cable in markets where they don't/cannot get subchannel carriage.

From Northpine.com:

KELO-TV (Sioux Falls) has added ION on channel 11.3, joining the growing list of Media General stations carrying ION on a subchannel. KELO is a primary CBS affiliate and also carries syndicated programming and MyNetworkTV on 11.2. ION is not being carried on KELO satellites KDLO (Watertown) or KPLO (Reliance-Pierre), but KELO Vice-President and General Manager Jay Huizenga says they do plan to add it on a subchannel of KCLO (Rapid City). KCLO is a semi-satellite of KELO's main channel, carrying separate syndicated programming in some time slots.

• 2 weeks later...
I just looked at a wiki of ion affiliates, and San Diego, CA doesn't seem to have one. Is this changing anytime soon? I've watched PAX, but not ion.

It's on COX CH-96 in No.Cnty as a stand alone in enhanced basic.

They run a lot of Little House on the Prairie and the Waltons. I watch that, and BYU-TV when I sin and feel naughty.

Archived