WLS moving to NBC Tower

Weeters

If you clicked on this thread without noticing what forum it is in: Gotcha!!!

Robert Feder is reporting that the studios for Chicago's WLS, WLS-FM, WLUP-FM, and WKQX (All either owned outright or operated by Cumulus Media) will be moving to consolidated space at NBC Tower. Right now, WLS-AM and WLS-FM are located at 190 North State Street with WLS-TV. Ironically for WKQX, their move from their current studios at the Merchandise Mart will mirror the one their former sister station WMAQ AM (WKQX signed on as WMAQ-FM) made when NBC Tower was completed in 1989.

Confused yet??

The Merchandise Mart lease ends before they can move to NBC Tower... So WLUP and WKQX will temporarily operate out of 190 North State Street after February. That means the station formerly called WMAQ is moving to WLS before moving with WLS to the current home of WMAQ(-TV)

Gotta love the broadcast industry.

If you clicked on this thread without noticing what forum it is in: Gotcha!!!

Robert Feder is reporting that the studios for Chicago's WLS, WLS-FM, WLUP-FM, and WKQX (All either owned outright or operated by Cumulus Media) will be moving to consolidated space at NBC Tower. Right now, WLS-AM and WLS-FM are located at 190 North State Street with WLS-TV. Ironically for WKQX, their move from their current studios at the Merchandise Mart will mirror the one their former sister station WMAQ AM (WKQX signed on as WMAQ-FM) made when NBC Tower was completed in 1989.

Confused yet??

The Merchandise Mart lease ends before they can move to NBC Tower... So WLUP and WKQX will temporarily operate out of 190 North State Street after February. That means the station formerly called WMAQ is moving to WLS before moving with WLS to the current home of WMAQ(-TV)

Gotta love the broadcast industry.

What? That will be SERIOUSLY awkward to have ABC branded stations (WLS) move into NBC branded stations (WMAQ). How in the world?

What? That will be SERIOUSLY awkward to have ABC branded stations (WLS) move into NBC branded stations (WMAQ). How in the world?

They're just call letters. There's no ABC involved. WLS-AM doesn't even carry ABC News Radio reports.

I'd be interested to see what, if anything, moves into 190 North, whether or not it's broadcasting related. I don't know how much space Radio Disney took up, but that plus the two WLS's vacating definitely leaves a few empty floors. Let's take a look at the board and check the score...

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=864922060203668

They're just call letters. There's no ABC involved. WLS-AM doesn't even carry ABC News Radio reports.

I'd be interested to see what, if anything, moves into 190 North, whether or not it's broadcasting related. I don't know how much space Radio Disney took up, but that plus the two WLS's vacating definitely leaves a few empty floors. Let's take a look at the board and check the score...

I know, but WLS is to ABC as WMAQ is to NBC.

But wasn't it a sister radio station to WLS-TV at one point?

But wasn't it a sister radio station to WLS-TV at one point?

Yes. At one point, but not for several years, and the TV side, which likely gets better ratings and exposure, rarely made any mention of the relationship. WLS-AM would have ABC 7 personnel on fairly often, including a daily half hour with anchor Ron Magers, but save for then-personality Roe Conn's role on Windy City Live (2011-now, and Conn moving to WGN-AM last year), the talent sharing has not been a two-way street. The former ABC stations' syndicated conservative format from coast-to-coast helped the estrangement, as well, I'm sure.

As for WLS-FM, that station has seen so many format and call letter changes over the years, that I'd imagine that there's very little listener connection with ABC 7. However, their classic hits (oldies is a dirty word, apparently) format employs many greats from the AM station's top-40 heyday, but that has nothing to do with the TV side, and we've already established that the two radio entities are still bedfellows.

Archived