KSDK-TV

Breaking News

The once dominance station in the market has slipped so, what going on at KSDK? It seems all (3) shops in the market have had many changes. For KSDK is it because of Gannett/TEGNA change over? It is management what causing the ratings to go down?

http://www.stltoday.com/lifestyles/columns/joe-holleman/longtime-ksdk-news-director-mike-shipley-leaving/article_bd08cee3-0d0f-5d21-beda-64ae3670b31a.html

Then on the station website it has the station logo with 5 On Your Side branding...Thoughts?

kskd5.thumb.PNG.3b3294b6c007dd3e71044f92386a5ea1.PNG

Guest NewsHound

A fall from grace, that's for sure.

It's very telling that when Gannett or TEGNA or whatever they're called today, whenever they entered the market they had the choice between their newly-acquired Belo station, KMOV, or keep their longer established KSDK.

Of course, they pick their longer established KSDK and sell off KMOV to Meredith. What they never anticipated is that Meredith would run KMOV and pull up their stagnant ratings to be very close behind KSDK.

So now you have KSDK fighting off KTVI and KMOV, whom all traded between one point with each other or virtually tied in the November ratings. KSDK finally realizes that they are not the strongest station they once were, and tries to reinvent themselves as you see here. Whether it will work or push them even further behind, we will wait and see. If it's any indication, TEGNA has a lot of 3rd place stations. Hopefully St. Louis won't become one.

All I have to say is, if Sinclair has plans for a news department in the works for KDNL, now would be the time to put those plans to fruition. Not saying they do, but I'd highly consider it based on the recent state of ratings. They have nothing to lose and everything to gain at this point.

A fall from grace, that's for sure.

It's very telling that when Gannett or TEGNA or whatever they're called today, whenever they entered the market they had the choice between their newly-acquired Belo station, KMOV, or keep their longer established KSDK.

Of course, they pick their longer established KSDK and sell off KMOV to Meredith. What they never anticipated is that Meredith would run KMOV and pull up their stagnant ratings to be very close behind KSDK.

So now you have KSDK fighting off KTVI and KMOV, whom all traded between one point with each other or virtually tied in the November ratings. KSDK finally realizes that they are not the strongest station they once were, and tries to reinvent themselves as you see here. Whether it will work or push them even further behind, we will wait and see. If it's any indication, TEGNA has a lot of 3rd place stations. Hopefully St. Louis won't become one.

All I have to say is, if Sinclair has plans for a news department in the works for KDNL, now would be the time to put those plans to fruition. Not saying they do, but I'd highly consider it based on the recent state of ratings. They have nothing to lose and everything to gain at this point.

I live in the market so I can give you my casual observations on what I see.

KSDK's fall from grace has been a while in the making. A lot of the anchors that viewers have come to know and watch have left the station and when that happened, the viewers started leaving. That combined with the dysfunctional way the station has been run for the past decade resulted in the viewers leaving in droves. NBC's fall from grace had a large part as well as KMOV's rise in the ratings correlated with CBS's overall rise in the network ratings. As a result KMOV capitalized on the situation and has become the more dominant station in the market for a while now and a lot of their growth came during their Belo days. KTVI is trying to be more competitive as well and the fact that they've been grabbing talent that's been leaving both KSDK and KMOV shows that they're wanting to play ball as well.

As far as KDNL, the fact that their current news program consists of a news/opinion program by a right-wing radio talk show host based in a production facility that is off site from KDNL's studios shows that Sinclair isn't interested in doing anything else but doing the bare minimum to keep ABC happy.

I live in the market so I can give you my casual observations on what I see.

KSDK's fall from grace has been a while in the making. A lot of the anchors that viewers have come to know and watch have left the station and when that happened, the viewers started leaving. That combined with the dysfunctional way the station has been run for the past decade resulted in the viewers leaving in droves. NBC's fall from grace had a large part as well as KMOV's rise in the ratings correlated with CBS's overall rise in the network ratings.

Because of that, people nicknamed it KSDecay. I remember reading an article on STLtoday.com a few years ago and commenters call it by that name.

Archived