WBAY carries the sports of the past! (automation gone wrong)

mrschimpf

I didn't know this could be a thing, but usually I tape the 6am Saturday morning WBAY show so I can watch the weather before I go to work on weekends. I did watch the weather and that's it, but later on checked out the station Facebook page since the CP telethon is going on to find a few viewer comments about the 6:20am on-tape sports segment being from February 6th (the 10pm sports anchor records for the morning, standard, especially for weekends).

Sure enough, I rolled my DVR recording, and there's Chris Roth talking about the last Panthers practice and how they're pumped before the Super Bowl and the Packers loss three weeks ago and their Super Bowl viewing plans. And then right back to the anchors who didn't even notice a month-old sportscast had just aired, just the usual 'Thanks Chris (on tape)' and to travel weather. :p

Gotta love it when automation decides to have fun, though thankfully it was just a sportscast and not an ancient Romney ad like WPTV had this week.

Though it is weird that nobody noticed and aborted.

The TD, audio person, cg operator, floor director or floor camera people would have probably noticed and said something to the producer...

But they all got laid off in favor of automation...and the producer was too busy updating the station(s) Facebook and Instagram pages.

And since now even interns are supposed to be paid....and stations are too cheap to pay said interns....you can no longer blame interns.

TV used to be fun.

since the CP telethon is going on

Speaking of the CP telethon, did you see that WCWF is carrying the NBA on ABC this weekend? I was surprised that WBAY didn't move the games over to one of their subchannels, but perhaps ABC demanded that they air on a channel with [complete market] cable/satellite carriage.

Speaking of the CP telethon, did you see that WCWF is carrying the NBA on ABC this weekend? I was surprised that WBAY didn't move the games over to one of their subchannels, but perhaps ABC demanded that they air on a channel with [complete market] cable/satellite carriage.

The same thing happened in Des Moines, where WOI's Variety telethon pushed the NBA to new sister station KCWI.

1201843660_tvschedule.zap2it.comtvlistingsZCGrid.dofromTimeInMillis1457294400000aidtvschedule.thumb.png.31f56ae72919aaa48357a51ffb51f382.png

Must be because the Media General/ION deal for 2.3 is an iron-clad 'do not pre-empt' channel lease; it was aired there happily when it was Retro and LWN, or there was at least a little bit of dealmaking when WLUK and WCWF got spun off to Sinclair in the MG/LIN merger. Not that WCWF didn't mind taking those games, I'm sure.

And going by visuals, WBAY at least has a floor director that could have seen the wrong sportscast on one of the big-screens in the wings. But again, 6am on Saturdays is usually a low-priority and there was zilch in local sports Friday night anyways (high school tourneys for winter sports only started yesterday afternoon).

Tonight, with the ACC Tournament final on WHAS Louisville, the NBA is shifted to CW affiliate WBKI (co-managed with WDRB and WMYO; also on a WMYO subchannel).

322582366_tvschedule.zap2it.comtvlistingsZCGrid.dofromTimeInMillis1457830800000aidtvschedule.thumb.png.1e80d7d43485641b147d55939096e7bb.png

Tonight, with the ACC Tournament final on WHAS Louisville, the NBA is shifted to CW affiliate WBKI (co-managed with WDRB and WMYO; also on a WMYO subchannel).

[ATTACH=full]2685[/ATTACH]

Hmm... on their former news sharing station? Weird.

Another odd update today...I've been noticing that the PQ for the main channel of WBAY has been going downhill for weeks (720p, norm for an ABC affiliate); I compared both the cable and over-the-air signal and both were at barely 480i quality (it's usually my most crisp HD broadcast channel, even compared to the Milwaukee stations).

Tonight before the newscast started they acknowledged their entire video system has been on the fritz and been barely up and it's now gotten to the news video system too. This meant they had to literally run a cable from a Win7 edit bay, taskbar and all and run taped reports in Windows Media Player. The WMP playbar was visible the entire time (thankfully WIndows Movie Maker didn't have to be utilized to edit said reports).

I don't know what's happening at WBAY (they actually had their ad automation crash during a morning newscast a few back and had to loop news music over a skycam shot during breaks that morning instead), but the gremlins are getting a bit too obvious.

Another odd update today...I've been noticing that the PQ for the main channel of WBAY has been going downhill for weeks (720p, norm for an ABC affiliate); I compared both the cable and over-the-air signal and both were at barely 480i quality (it's usually my most crisp HD broadcast channel, even compared to the Milwaukee stations).

I've been noticing all kinds of goofy little picture quality issues with them lately, compression included. Wonky studio video....the set backdrops look as though the colors had shifted. [i wonder if the cameras got re-balanced?] I'd also noticed the ENG video looking different as well; I've since learned WBAY is using JVC cams in field [not sure how many Panasonic P2s they still have].

Meanwhile, tonight on the audio front, Ellery McCardle's lav mic was emitting a 60 cycle hum.......

I don't know what's happening at WBAY (they actually had their ad automation crash during a morning newscast a few back and had to loop news music over a skycam shot during breaks that morning instead), but the gremlins are getting a bit too obvious.

Indeed, sadly. At least I haven't seen the types of automation meltdowns that WLUK seems to experience all too frequently.

Tonight before the newscast started they acknowledged their entire video system has been on the fritz and been barely up and it's now gotten to the news video system too. This meant they had to literally run a cable from a Win7 edit bay, taskbar and all and run taped reports in Windows Media Player. The WMP playbar was visible the entire time (thankfully WIndows Movie Maker didn't have to be utilized to edit said reports).

Yeah, caught that yesterday. Quick fix for sure; definitely a good idea if the server goes down.....but they could at least try to eliminate the scroll bar. [i don't know if this is possible with WMP; I'm on a Mac and I use VLC]

Meanwhile, tonight on the audio front, Ellery McCardle's lav mic was emitting a 60 cycle hum.......

]

That's interesting and a bit scary.

I would take that mic hum and seriously consider that the entire chain both Audio and Video are being affected somewhere higher in the actual electrical chain,. Ground loop hum??

A bad edison transformer outside the station can cause those problems station wide.

Intermittent grounding issues are very dangerous, and that mic hum may be the big clue to the video problems.

Where do I send the bill to?

Archived