WFXT Boston ditching open newsroom for traditional set

BostonMediaWatch

Looks pretty nice on air and not too much of a change really. I was expecting a more closed off WTVT-style set. The only thing bothering me is that the desk and cubicles are slightly off center.

Now let's check back in six months when they touch it up again after a new news director comes in and says "this logo is shit."

a look at the set in action, courtesy of NewEnglandOne

Yooooo 1:58 time though. The reflection off the monitors of the studio lights is insane! Display looks incredibly sharp and crisp, but that glare and reflection is a problem. There are several other examples throughout the video too. Sometimes the lights look like they're actual a part of the display.

On a different note, check out the time lapse starting at 1:23. I'm unreasonably disappointed they didn't change out the pictures on the second floor. Not that it's likely to be seen anymore, but it's still slightly disappointing they left them there.

Yooooo 1:58 time though. The reflection off the monitors of the studio lights is insane! Display looks incredibly sharp and crisp, but that glare and reflection is a problem. There are several other examples throughout the video too. Sometimes the lights look like they're actual a part of the display.

And it seems to be a problem with FX set designs of late. FOX 29 in Philly has the same problem with their new, also FX-produced set and it is VERY noticeable on-air.

And it seems to be a problem with FX set designs of late. FOX 29 in Philly has the same problem with their new, also FX-produced set and it is VERY noticeable on-air.

In their defence it's the monitor screen's reflectivity has nothing to do with the design. Most often the client will purchase the monitors on their end. Also with a curved wall you can't tilt them which would help with the glare. As for lighting in general I don't believe FX did the lighting.

In their defence it's the monitor screen's reflectivity has nothing to do with the design. Most often the client will purchase the monitors on their end. Also with a curved wall you can't tilt them which would help with the glare. As for lighting in general I don't believe FX did the lighting.

That shouldn't be an excuse though. Look at the MASSIVE video wall the Fox News Deck or whatever it's called has. I don't know if I've ever seen a (noticeable/significant) glare off it. The issue was with the type of monitors purchased and the way they were physically set up. Having that much glare and reflection is inexcusable. There will always probably be some glare and reflection, but the amount those are putting off is ridiculous.

Was the set installed by a professional set-maker? Because if not, that would explain why things like the monitor glare issues / lighting may not be up to par- tv wise. IIRC. Didn't they say that the remodel/set work was done by local companies?

Archived