Trouble at MundoMax: rumors of a network beginning to fail

Samantha

Miami would be the best place for a channel like this. If it can't make the cut there, it will go away.

Miami was probably the last market it was a viable local concern. They even still managed to maintain local news despite one threat of cancellation.

Even on the border, MundoMax failed. Entravision pulled the plug and caused massive market loss, and combined with KYVV's failure in May...

UPDATE: WGEN has signed with Azteca América and flips on Wednesday. It is retaining its local news and public affairs programs and will rebrand the 6pm and 10pm news (I guess the early evening news is moving) as Hechos to match the network.

KEJR, with no other options, chose paid programming in Spanish. It will be interesting to see what happens with KEJR and its full-power "slingshot" KMOH Kingman in the long term. KMOH could be a valuable asset for another Spanish broadcaster seeking must-carry. KVPA-LD Estrella TV, believe it or not, is still missing from Cox which *does* carry KPDF, KEJR and even KPHE.

KMOH could potentially have been spectrum bait, sitting on a low-UHF frequency halfway between Phoenix and Las Vegas.

KMOH is not needed as part of the reverse auction and wasn't even offered an opening bid price.

I think you are onto something with the thought of Estrella (or, Azteca) upgrading and gaining a full power (along with must carry rights) in the market, though.

No replacement announced yet for 62.2. LA's coming Sonlife.

I think you mean 22.2; MundoMax was on 22.1, which reverted to Spanish independent. SonLife remains on 22.2.

62.x is KRCA, with Estrella TV on 62.1.

KMOH is not needed as part of the reverse auction and wasn't even offered an opening bid price.

I think you are onto something with the thought of Estrella (or, Azteca) upgrading and gaining a full power (along with must carry rights) in the market, though.

KPDF is a Class A and already has DirecTV and Dish carriage. It's the only LPTV either of them carry for Phoenix (the others are slingshots such as KMOH and KFPH); Cox even carries it in HD, a luxury they've never given KEJR. Azteca doesn't need an affiliate upgrade. Liberman might see an opportunity though.

Archived