Remembering Bob Allen (1946-2016)

TexasTVNews

QpmolBA.jpg

I'm trying to find the right words to say about the late great Bob Allen, but I'll try to pay tribute to him in the best

way.

Bob Allen was and still is in my book a Houston institution when it comes to local sports. When it comes to

local Houston sports like the Oilers (Now Tennessee Titans), Rockets, Astros, and Texans; Bob was there. From the "Luv Ya Blue" and Bum Phillips years with the Oilers in the 70's, to the Back-to-Back NBA Champion Rockets in the 90's; Bob Allen covered it all from lean years, mean years in the the between years.

Bob worked at KTRK ABC 13 for 38 ½ years back when was weekend sports anchor, then moved up to sports director in 1975. In his near 4 decades at KTRK, with the team of Dave Ward, Shara Fryer, Ed Brandon, and Marvin Zindler; 13 Eyewitness News dominated the ratings in the 70s, 80s, 90s and early 2000s. Bob worked with so many sports anchors who made their mark at ABC 13 like Bob Slovak, Tim Melton, and Bruce Gietzen. Bob retired from ABC 13 in January 2013, then moved down the street to KHOU on April 25th and continued to set the standard in sports journalism.

Today, we pay tribute to Bob Allen and applaud his accomplishments and contributions to Houston broadcasting, he devoted his time as a volunteer for the Special Olympics of Greater Houston and The Sunshine Kids, he served as a board member for both organizations and was recognized with the highest honor given to a volunteer of Special Olympics, the Spirit of Special Olympics Award.

a9atOil.jpg

Bob Allen will forever be in spirit and in our memory with all great stories about him, we wont forget Bob Allen who had a total unique talent, he's established a tradition of excellence at both KHOU and KTRK that will totally hard pressed to lived up to. Next to the word "Individual" in the dictionary is a picture of Bob Allen.

All of us at TVNewsTalk would like to take this time to offer our payers and condolences to Bob Allen's family and to his extend family at 13 Eyewitness News (KTRK) and 11NEWS (KHOU) in this very difficult time.

Rest In Peace Bob Allen, Goodnight sweet prince and Godspeed.

Was so stunned to hear this the other day as the last I had heard was that his cancer was gone.

Bob is a legend in sports television and that cannot be said enough. From male to another may I just say he looked damn good for 70! Godspeed Bob!

Archived