Dick Goddard's Final Forecast

CLETVFan

In honor of this historical day in Cleveland television. I will be home tomorrow evening, my DVR is already set. I will upload it as soon as I can tomorrow evening after 730pm. Also Big Chuck and Lil John show last night aired a special "Dick Goddard night". I will upload that as well.

I'll be watching from afar via livestream.

This is the end of an era for Cleveland television for sure.

I watched it live and DVRed it. Due to tech issues unable to upload till tomorrow or thanksgiving. It was very nice send off and I will admit I had few tears.

A very nice tribute by current and former co-workers and those around the industry.

Since I've been away from Ohio....when was the last time he did a full forecast? He reduced to his schedule to fill-ins and the 6pm news over a decade ago and given his age (and health), getting him back on TV seemed to be an accomplishment in itself.

A very nice tribute by current and former co-workers and those around the industry.

Since I've been away from Ohio....when was the last time he did a full forecast? He reduced to his schedule to fill-ins and the 6pm news over a decade ago and given his age (and health), getting him back on TV seemed to be an accomplishment in itself.

It might have been in early September or thereabouts (he suffered the hip fracture shortly after the Cleveland APL telethon in mid-September, and I don't think that he gave a forecast that day). He was given the all-clear by his medical advisors to travel up to the channel 8 studios earlier in the morning.

[MEDIA=twitter]801209415521234944[/MEDIA]

The Guinness Book of World Records managed to verify his 55 year-long career as an on-air meteorologist (certified for 51 years; apparently that was when he received AMS seal #45) as a broadcast record... not that shabby, considering that in terms of longevity alone, he's only behind Luther Masingill (74 years) and Bob Steele (66 years). (EDIT: The record implies that his last full forecast was given on September 19.)

The Dick Goddard Foundation was also formally announced today, a 501©3 non-profit dedicated to helping area animal shelters and the animals themselves.

I wonder if Tanchak or Jason Nicholas will send a cake over to the WJW studios like Jason Handman did for Wilma Smith.

Betsy Kling commissioned a painting of an Isabella Tiger Moth (what Wolley Bears ultimately become) and got a good luck card signed by WKYC personnel past and present.

Fitting as Dick began his career at channel 3 (then KYW) back in May of 1961. And a remarkably classy move by Betsy and WKYC.

Archived