WITI 'new' graphics

mrschimpf

I put 'new' in quotes for WITI/Milwaukee because...they aren't really all that new. It's a very uninspired new package still using massive amounts of Arial/Helvetica variants as they have since their first Fox-age package, but it's 16:9 optimized with AFD 10 force, and finally adds some animation for their DOG (just a loop of "fox6now.com, Fox 6 Milwaukee, and Fox 6 News") so it's not stuck or still, along with a full-time ticker. And they're mixing Extreme awkwardly with a new theme I haven't placed yet (though this is tradition; they still had cuts from Magnum years even after the O&O theme was dropped and Extreme replaced that).

I wasn't expecting much from this change, and I'm not surprised. This is the very definition of moving the goalposts graphics-wise.

And they're mixing Extreme awkwardly with a new theme I haven't placed yet (though this is tradition; they still had cuts from Magnum years even after the O&O theme was dropped and Extreme replaced that).

They've picked up This Is The Place by Stephen Arnold

"This is the place for stories that matter to you because you matter".

Seriously? That's in their open? They really need to clean house in that marketing department...

All I'm really seeing is modified lower thirds and ticker designed for 16:9 (old look was 4:3). Pretty much the same look, which was already dated by 15 years when it launched.

Seriously? That's in their open? They really need to clean house in that marketing department...

They have way too many taglines (meant to mention that but these graphics are so bland); three are just in that line alone! "This is the place", "stories that matter," and "because you matter". I'm just glad they didn't think to throw in "so be prepared, not scared, and go beyond the game" so their weather and sports departments got represented too.

But you'd think being 90 miles from HQ you'd get more resources than they do.

All I'm really seeing is modified lower thirds and ticker designed for 16:9 (old look was 4:3). Pretty much the same look, which was already dated by 15 years when it launched.

I don't think this comes from their marketing department. I think station management loves this clunky look and branding for some reason. WITI has always been bad at this.

I'm rather surprised the local station hasn't been overruled by now. I think if they've wanted them, they could have easily adopted the Tribune FOX package, or another package already in use at another Tribune station, but for some bizarre reason, they're sticking with this.

they could have easily adopted the Tribune FOX package, or another package already in use at another Tribune station

You mean like... Actually getting the KTLA package this look is a knockoff of?

The new lower thirds are terrible. The branding is terrible.

WITI hadn't had decent graphics since the early 2000's. The O&O package was okay, but their implementation of it was crummy.

A few years ago, Tribune seemed so bullish on having their stations gfx be done in-house and share the package(s), now they're left with a hodge-podge of stuff. Wonder what the plan is going forward. Are they going to keep letting each station do their own thing, or will there eventually force down a group wide package(s)?

Archived