My Two Cents on the Jacobsen/Stebic Pool Party

It appears that there is a "ethics war" brewing here in Chicago, in the wake of the Amy Jacobsen/Craig Stebic fiasco. For those of you who might not be familiar with the situation: A camera crew from CBS-Owned WBBM-TV, caught Amy Jacobsen, a reporter from NBC-Owned WMAQ, swimming in the backyard pool of Craig Stebic in Southwest Suburban Plainfield. Craig Stebic is currently under investigation by local authorities into the disappearance of his wife Lisa. Many on this board (myself included), have said Jacobsen crossed the line by going to Stebic's Southwest Suburban home.

However, in a recent Chicago Sun-Times poll, 61% of the respondents said that Jacobsen's actions did not warrant her firing. 38% of those polled told the paper that they agree with the actions taken by the NBC Owned and Operated station. Quite honestly, I find those results suprisng.

But, those statistics are not as suprising as the actions taken by WBBM on Tuesday night during their 10PM Newscast. WBBM also may too have crossed a line by airing the video that their crew shot last week. The Sun-Times' Bob Feder called WBBM's report "misleading and innuendo-filled", and this criticism, I have to agree with. Never, can I remember a local station here in Chicago leading off their newscast to slam a competing station's airstaff. I know WBBM's ratings are in the tank, however that's no excuse for the actions taken by the CBS owned and operated station. Quite honestly, there really is no excuse for WBBM airing the video. I say WBBM's judgement was just as bad in this situation as Jacobsen's when she decided to take a dip in the Stebic's backyard pool. And, that's my two cents...

CBS 2 tries to save face with commentary on Amy Jacobson video...

After absolutely no mention of the story Wednesday night, here's what aired on CBS 2 News last night (Thursday) at 10. (Notice how they have Rob Johnson field this one, God forbid they'd put Diann Burns' face on this).

As it turns out, it was CBS 2 reporter Mike Puccinelli (and a still unnamed photographer) who was on the story. Hope this doesn't affect him too much, he's a great reporter, and it was MANAGEMENT'S descision to air the tape.

Anyway, here's the segment...

http://cbs2chicago.com/video/[email protected]

It's too late for WBBM offer their "so-called" point of clarification. They should have done this in the beginning because what little news credibility they had is gone. "We wanted to protect the names of the neighbor and our photographer"...what a bunch of bs. I have no problem with them airing the video, but they should have done everything possible (dot every "i"/cross every "t") to insure that their reputation wasn't hurt by showing it. No matter what they say, most people probably won't believe them anyway. They are just as dumb as Jacobson if not more so.

who cares, its competition. I think its great and let's face it, Jacobson shoud not have been screwing around with a man who "allegedly" killed his wife- especially with her kids. Kudos to WBBM for showing this video, and they should protect the photog- he is working on their behalf.

• 2 weeks later...

CBS now has part on this story themselves (other than video taping Amy Jacobson at the Stebic home).

CBS Outdoor/Billboard (all those billboards by the expressways and highways that say CBS or Viacom on the bottom) has donated some billboards for the Stebic family to use for reward/contact info in the search of Lisa Stebic. You can read about it at:

http://cbs2chicago.com/topstories/local_story_205090907.html

On July 24, CBS 2 took the mesure to mention on all their newscasts that CBS was donating the billboards to the Stebics and that WBBM-TV which produces CBS 2 News and CBS Outdoor Billboards are the same company.

Channel 2 also put this up on their website...

http://cbs2chicago.com/seenon/local_story_198152836.html

It's a respose to Robert Feder's column by station president Joe Ahern. Apparently, the Sun-Times wanted to edit the letter (which didn't fly with Joe) so it never made it to print.

I think Joe made a couple of valid points: Feder never contacted Channel 2 for their side of the story and I guess there was never a shouting match between Ahern and Channel 5 boss Larry Wert. He also brings up the news partnership between WMAQ & the Sun-Times, which Feder did not disclose in the artlicle.

Archived