Big Four News Duopolies Questions

rkolsen

That Madison - Milwaukee thing is a same sex deal...so they have an "alt-prom" planned..

the WTMJ/WISC deal is the last remaining piece of an ancient Journal Company project called "midwestern relay" that linked a bunch of stations over microwave in wisconsin, minnesota, and iowa...

http://www.americanradiohistory.com/hd2/IDX-Business/Magazines/Archive-BC-IDX/74-OCR/1974-02-11-BC-OCR-Page-0035.pdf#search="midwestern relay%22

obviously the WBAY deal ended when journal bought WGBA... since journal never got a station in madison the WISC deal continues... just over fiber and not microwave...

Cox stations are CNN affiliates. If anything, it would probably be easier to write a list of who's not a CNN affiliate:

NBC O&O

Fox O&O

Tegna

Cordillera

Probably lots of smaller ones too.

Fixed, because Gannett is now Tegna.

Cox stations are CNN affiliates. If anything, it would probably be easier to write a list of who's not a CNN affiliate:

NBC O&O

Fox O&O

Gannett

Cordillera

Probably lots of smaller ones too.

Not sure Cordillera is entirely accurate. At least the Newsource West Twitter list lists their Montana stations and they run CNN content. The South list includes KATC, which also runs CNN content. Same for KVOA and WLEX.

Neither KSBY nor KOAA are included on the list, which leads me to believe that Cordillera lets its stations subscribe on an individual basis.

Looks like Cowles is split as well. Appears the Montana stations are in but its legacy KHQ stations aren't.

As far as the small ones that *are* in: NPG, the Manship stations, Block, Morris, Morgan Murphy, Heartland, Sunbeam, WFMZ, WFMJ, KTBS, KFMB, Weigel, WBOC, WMDT, WPSD, WSIL.

Here's some food for thought: What if Tegna were to acquire a news-producing IND/CW station? I'm sure WHDH, WFMZ, WJXT, WISH, WCCB and the Trib CW stations have to use CNN as a front-line affiliate service because of the lack of a NewsOne/Newspath/etc.

Would Tegna special-subscribe the one individual station to CNN? I don't know how else they'd do national news without it.

I don't know if this was missed in the discussion about Tegna stations and Newsource, but KVUE is an affiliate. They feature in the Twitter list as well as this reel of custom tags to a Newsource package about Hurricane Maria back in September.

[MEDIA=streamable]9lmgt[/MEDIA]

Archived