Christiane Amanpour’s Show to Temporary Replace Charlie Rose on PBS.

rkolsen

This week Christiane Amanpour’s show that airs currently on CNN International will start airing on WNET and then next week the wider PBS member stations. Additionally a public affairs show which is still in development will round out the hour.

I think this is a great idea. It expands Amanpour’s American reach and PBS gets an international news programme.

Is this the first time a CNN show has aired on a PBS station?

Our local PBS station runs international newscasts from the BBC and Deutsche Welle (and, for a while, aired news from NHK.) Starting in 1973, and lasting for nearly a decade, PBS aired a time-delayed captioned version of ABC's evening news. And of course the Nightly Business Report was outsourced to CNBC in 2013. IIRC Amanpour was an occasional substitute host on Charlie Rose's PBS show.

Our local PBS station runs international newscasts from the BBC and Deutsche Welle (and, for a while, aired news from NHK.) Starting in 1973, and lasting for nearly a decade, PBS aired a time-delayed captioned version of ABC's evening news. And of course the Nightly Business Report was outsourced to CNBC in 2013. IIRC Amanpour was an occasional substitute host on Charlie Rose's PBS show.

Maine Public?

WPBT doesn't air DW or NHK and I don't think neither does WLRN. But WPBT does air BBC.

WUFT airs BBC and DW-TV. I wish they aired NHK too. But all in all, WUFT airs three hours of news:

5:00 p.m. - WUFT News - First at 5:00 (student-produced)

5:30 p.m. - BBC World News America

6:00 p.m. - DW News

6:30 p.m. - The Nightly Business Report

7:00 p.m. - PBS Newshour

• 2 weeks later...

My local PBS station aired Charlie Rose twice - a repeat from the previous day in the afternoon, and a new episode at 11:30 p.m. From the looks of it, though, they aren't giving Amanpour's show the same treatment. It's only airing once a day, and it's at the 11:30 p.m. slot.

I know that CNN hosts (like Anderson Cooper) have hosted Rose's show before, but I don't think PBS has ever aired one of CNN's shows with regularity. And in this case, it appears to be temporary.

Archived