Are CBS O&Os going to pot in quality?

jdcnow

I bring this up because of late, it just seems to me that CBS O&O have been going downhill or just treading water. Let's review shall we?

WBBM - What was once one of America's most respected local TV news operations is now the laughing-stock of the Chicago TV market.

The WFOR Incident:

http://www.tvnewstalk.net/forum/index.php/topic,1872.0.html

Need I say anything more?

KCBS - Judging by the reaction to the new graphics, this station is unwatchable.

WCBS - Shot its own self in the foot by dumping Dana and Jim (the best talent CBS 2 had) from the late news.

KTVT - Thanks to the new ND, apparently the tabloidness runs deep. And it's evidently worse than we thought:

CBS 11 Investigates >> "100s of Bacteria Colonies Found on DFW Playgrounds"

Click here: http://cbs11tv.com/video/?cid=39 and click on the story title I just mentioned. Have you heard? Germs will kill you!

Personally I find KPIX in San Fransisco to be CBS O&O that does it right when it comes it news. However it should be noted KPIX was a Group W station before it was sold to the network in 90s.

I watch KPIX most of the time - I like the people, look and presentation. Although, except for KRON, SF/SJ has really good news stations

I think all of the former Group W stations (except WBZ) are either the best in their markets (KDKA, WJZ, KPIX) or have made major strides in the last few years (KYW). KYW is doing well because they have many veterans who have stuck with the station even through their most horrible years and have made a few big acquisitions in 2003 with Marc Howard, Kathy Orr, Larry Mendte, and Alycia Lane.

KCBS and WCBS' rosters have been full of nothing but wasted money talent from other ABC O&Os KABC and WABC respectively over the last several years.

WFOR was once respectable but I think what I call the "CSI: Miami" factor is wearing off with viewers and WPLG is gaining back the #1 spot. And what the hell is the deal with the new intro music? I saw it on YouTube last week and it's as bad and bland as the Media General Theme.

KCBS - Judging by the reaction to the new graphics, this station is unwatchable.

How do graphics reflect the quality of a newscast?

Just wondering, I've never seen KCBS myself.

Don't you know Matt, that is what people use to determine how good a newscast is. It is a new concept. If the graphics are bad so is the newscast. Give me a break jdcnow, make the determination based on how well it is put together not how bad the graphics are. It might help if you watched CBS 2 (KCBS).

I'm not sure about the news product of the CBS O&O's, but the buildings themselves are definitely going to pot!

From WCBS in New York, to KCBS in L.A. and everyone in between, the work environments are crap! The buildings need to be updated and renovated, or better yet, just build a new facility already! The buildings stink!

I'm not sure about the news product of the CBS O&O's, but the buildings themselves are definitely going to pot!

From WCBS in New York, to KCBS in L.A. and everyone in between, the work environments are crap! The buildings need to be updated and renovated, or better yet, just build a new facility already! The buildings stink!

KCBS and KYW just got new facilities in March. I don't know what you are talking about.

KCBS and KYW just got new facilities in March. I don't know what you are talking about.

I haven't been inside, but KPIX's building looks nice from the outside

962006110231680180135680180135.jpg

WBBM-TV's new building on State Street is under construction and should be complete sometime next year. WBBM is currently in a horse barn converted roller skating rink converted TV studios which is literally falling apart. For a long time, the building was surrounded by scaffolding to protect the pedestrians on the sidewalks around the building from falling bricks. WBBM-AM Newsradio 780 and WBBM-FM B-96 have already moved out of the building. Once WBBM-TV CBS 2 is out, the building will most likely be demolished to expand the parking garage that the building is right against.

Despite all the new technology KCBS/KCAL have been and will continue to be crap...either it is the curse of firing Jerry Dunphy back in 1975 (when KCBS was KNXT) or just one bad manager after another. Morale there is pretty low, and morale in LA newsrooms has been notorious...lots of egos, lots of yelling and screaming and lots of demands.

People I was talking about buildings themselves, in particular WCBS in New York. It's an absolute dumping ground. You wouldn't drop your kids off there for daycare! They need a new facility and fast!

As far as KYW goes, I've heard it's a nice new building, but that's only like 1 of 3 that CBS has built in the last 20-30 years! C'mon, CBS, step up to the plate and fix the problem,... you end up looking like a joke!

People I was talking about buildings themselves, in particular WCBS in New York. It's an absolute dumping ground. You wouldn't drop your kids off there for daycare! They need a new facility and fast!

As far as KYW goes, I've heard it's a nice new building, but that's only like 1 of 3 that CBS has built in the last 20-30 years! C'mon, CBS, step up to the plate and fix the problem,... you end up looking like a joke!

180px-BolarisWCBS2005.jpg

You're right, not with Uncle John's Fun Time Jamboree.

I'm at a loss as to the question though: are we trying to say that based on a certain number of news ops, the news ops in the whole station group are going to hell? That seems like a BS question to me.

Following that logic, I'm sure Chuck and Sue are going to be at the helm of NYC's new joke o' the town -- after all, WCAU is pretty piss poor, right?

And to put as much stock in graphics as the OP does, let's remind ourselves who's number one...

wabc_030405_span1.jpg

1087367_vf.jpg

What about KCBS's new buliding in HOLLYWOOD

It's in Studio City, which is on the other side of the Hollywood Hills from the Hollywood area of Los Angeles. But yeah, it looks pretty nice based on what little I've seen of it...

Archived